Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    AI Trump - EVERYTHING MUST GO!https://youtu.be/TC3jA7Tywz0

You know, I have just watched thirty minutes of the Netflix docuseries aptly entitled; "Arnold", since it is all about Arnold, and not much else. It seems to me that if Schwarzenegger had been born American, he would be up there against Chump. The narcissistic traits abound in him, too, although he comes off as more sympathetic, but still.

These are funny times we live in where Political figures and Media personalities are interchangeable. Of course, Reagan had that appeal a while back but the Internet culture has boosted the weirdness factor up a few notches.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    You know, I have just watched thirty minutes of the Netflix docuseries aptly entitled; "Arnold", since it is all about Arnold, and not much else. It seems to me that if Schwarzenegger had been born American, he would be up there against Chump. The narcissistic traits abound in him, too, although he comes off as more sympathetic, but still.

These are funny times we live in where Political figures and Media personalities are interchangeable. Of course, Reagan had that appeal a while back but the Internet culture has boosted the weirdness factor up a few notches.
    I really like Canada. Most of my relatives are in Canada. However, if you want to criticize ant take potshots at Americans and their political tastes, let's catch up on Canadian news. There is a chance that today is the day that Conservatives will launch a no confidence vote. Conservatives have failed in the past to do so. The basis is Trudeau's proposed 23% increase in the carbon tax that will ripple through the economy [[the debate). Will the Quebec Party side with Conservatives this time around or further drag down the Canadian standard of living with yet more taxes?

As an American, I can only hope that Canada will use some its taxation bounty to beef up its dismal share of NATO defense. It gets so weary having to run the U.S. further into debt to cover the rear of deadbeat NATO countries like Trudeau's autocratic version of Canada. The average spending of NATO allies is 2.58% Canada just spends 1.29% of its GNP on defense. Canada ranks 25th of 29 nations in GNP defense spending.

In other Canada news, or at least news that disappeared in the government subsidized Canadian media, there was a petition last year that listed grievances against the Trudeau Regime. It read, in part, The policies of this government aren't aligning with the crisis Canada is facing: housing costs, infringement of civil liberties, highest inflation in history, unbalanced immigration policies, taxation to the point of poverty, weakening of our economy by importing natural resources that Canada already has and under-utilizes; and based on the past eight years of this Prime Minister, Canadians do not have confidence in this Prime Minister, after five ethics investigations and Canada's reputation being tarnished on a global scale under his leadership. To the extent that Canada is being discluded from participating in statements regarding important geopolitical events.We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the House of Commons to call for a vote of no confidence and a federal election 45 days following the vote.

This vote never happened but today this might be brought up again. That "infringement of human rights" is an important point among Premier Trudeau's detractors. Trudeau has taken Canada a couple of years ahead of even our Democratic Party in expanding immigration, causing jacked up housing prices, suppression of free speech, and autocratic rule.

My advice to conservative Leader Poilievre is to hold off on the No confidence vote until after the carbon tax has further pressed Canadians' family budgets.

@Oladub/

Not sure about taking potshots at Americans. I think a greater insult is when a Canadian guy waved our flag when storming your capitol. That was both insulting to me and should be to you, too. Insofar as Canada’s contribution to military procurement, I am entirely aligned with your opinion.

On the immigration issue, Quebec has received nearly half of the asylum seekers in Canada the past coupla years, that is on top of the refugees accepted beforehand from countries like Ukraine, and the already high level of standard immigrant applications. So, yes, we are feeling pressure like the US does on that front, and yes, the Trudeau government’s approach has been totally laissez-faire, and damaging to a lot of people whose dream of home ownership is on hold. There are regions of the US that are experiencing this pressure for various reasons; Ma, Ca, even Florida right now, so immigration definitely needs to be addressed by all who are affected by this.

I love the USS, too, and have family all over, or used to. Two aunts in Florida, cousins in NH and Mass, and some in California. A cousin in Seattle now back in Montreal. My grandmother was born in Houghton, Michigan, if that counts for something.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I really like Canada. Most of my relatives are in Canada. However, if you want to criticize ant take potshots at Americans and their political tastes, let's catch up on Canadian news.
    I didn't see any wholesale criticism of the United States, nor its polity. He made an observation about 3 political figures in the United States, that's 3 people out of roughly 335 million.

Not the same. In the same vein you have been vastly more plaintive about Canada policies, often in a way that does deride Canada, and Canadians writ-large, and yet you wouldn't wish to be called out for Canada bashing.....because you only critque those to the political left of Attila the Hun.

There is a chance that today is the day that Conservatives will launch a no confidence vote. Conservatives have failed in the past to do so. The basis is Trudeau's proposed 23% increase in the carbon tax that will ripple through the economy [[the debate). Will the Quebec Party side with Conservatives this time around or further drag down the Canadian standard of living with yet more taxes?
    There is zero chance of the Liberals losing a non-confidence vote as long as they remain backed by the NDP. Mathematically, they cannot get there.

I don't see why a thread about Shawn Fain is devolving into your less than informed take on Canadian politics, as that seems wildly off topic to me, unless Shawn Fain hints at running and unveils Canada-specific platform elements.

As an American, I can only hope that Canada will use some its taxation bounty to beef up its dismal share of NATO defense. It gets so weary having to run the U.S. further into debt to cover the rear of deadbeat NATO countries like Trudeau's autocratic version of Canada.
    The U.S. has enough weapons in storage to blow up the entire planet several times over. You don't need to spend anywhere near what you do on defense for our benefit or anyone else's.

Indeed U.S. defense spending so exceeds any other country on earth that you all drive the arms race by yourselves.

As a final note on that subject, the debt isn't necessary if you just raise taxes to pay for what you spend, which is an excellent, fiscally conservative position to hold. Pay your bills, and don't borrow from future generations. Many Canadian politicians by the way suffer from the same disease, why pay a bill today than you can defer by a few years.

The average spending of NATO allies is 2.58% Canada just spends 1.29% of its GNP on defense. Canada ranks 25th of 29 nations in GNP defense spending.
    In any event, the Parliament Budget Office [[independent from the Government) estimates Canada will hit 1.59% in 2026-2027, only 2 years from now, a sizable increase. Canada has already ordered a new fleet for the Navy and new fleet of F-35s for our Air Force, the latter in particular which will spin off lots of U.S. jobs making them.

Trudeau has taken Canada a couple of years ahead of even our Democratic Party in expanding immigration, causing jacked up housing prices, suppression of free speech, and autocratic rule.
    Canada remains a freer country than the U.S. both in speech and economically as rated by Freedom House.

https://freedomhouse.org/countries/f...20and%20Status

Canada ranks as the 5th freest country on earth.

The U.S. ranks...... outside of the top 50.

As with Canuck I disagree with Trudeau's handling of the immigration file, most particularly in respect of foreign students and temporary foreign workers.

Canada's economic-class or points-based immigration system remains pretty good, he bumped that one up too fast as well, and he ought not to have..........but the huge surge in Canadian population with the twin effects of wage suppression and spiraling housing costs are really driven by those first two.

Canada will add more than 2% to its population this year, as it did last year, that growth is simply too much for the country's housing market and infrastructure to handle.

The move was unabashedly foolish. The Liberals are now making tweaks that will drop the growth rate back a little bit, but it is indeed too little and too late.

It will take several years to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post

and if Arnold had not been born in America,you would have never even known who he was.

And if my aunt had *alls she would be my uncle,Meh forget that,these days it is entirely possible.

But I agree the internet has created the ability to spread mis-information,dis-information and the ability to stoke the flames in real time,while replacing civics with feelings.

But it does not change the fact that politics were never contentious and even the DNC had their riots and Ceaser did not live to a ripe old age.

Media personalities and political were always interchangeable,Hoover spit them out like chewing tobacco.

The only thing that has changed is the population is 100 million more and the internet gives people a platform to show it is all about them and their needs personally verses the greater good or bigger picture.

and a way to talk to people and refer to them like they would never dare to in the real world.

Wars have been fought over politics and religion for 2000 years and people think they are going to be a sit around a campfire roasting s’mores moment?

Thats the whole purpose of a campaign,to get your base riled up and the energy flowing to win votes and finding people’s pressure points to exploit,it’s to win votes none of it is ment to be real.

Politics here is nothing compared to countries where the mantra is,do not vote for me and you face jail,death,food cut off,or like it used to be here,pulled out of the voting line and beaten.

In retrospect one could say the politics of today is in a much better place then it was in the past.

President Lincoln - President Kennedy may also agree.
    Last edited by Richard; March-21-24 at 10:46 AM.