Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I can't wade through your stream of consciousness. A few points from skimming your diary:

Seasonal blends are not created by an additive to the tanker truck. Those additives are used to change generic gasoline into Shell gasoline or Marathon gasoline or Exxon gasoline.

Seasonal differences in gasoline are met by either limiting RVP or using reformulated gasoline, depending on the nature of pollution in the affected region. Detroit has to use 7.8 RVP in summer or be subject to an RFG requirement like we used to be in years past.

There is no collusion or conspiracy to increase prices by producers, traders, refiners, et al, to speed the introduction of a product they don't produce or sell. Don't be ridiculous. E15 is not a lifeline to a refinery - it's 15% less gasoline they can sell.

129 out of 135 refineries did not shut down during covid. Six of the 135 refineries closed, leaving 129 operating. Refinery inputs decreased no more than 21% at the low point in spring of 2020. Three of the refineries closed had a combined capacity of less than half of Marathon Detroit. One of them explode and burned beyond a salvageable condition. Three of the closing refineries are being turned into renewable diesel refineries.
    Now you are down to,not only does Detroit have their own little special gas pumps like nowhere else in the country,the marathon refinery only produces gasoline specifically for Detroit.

The gasoline is shipped all over the country,there is no way marathon blends locally for other states because there are different temperatures spans in every state,they would have to blend 50 different batches.

The finial blend is done at local terminals with butane,it’s all about stopping expansion caused by heat expansion.

As a result of several U.S. refinery closures in 2020, U.S. operable atmospheric crude oil distillation capacity, the primary measure of refinery capacity in the United States, dropped 4.5% to a total of 18.1 million barrels per calendar day [[b/cd) at the start of 2021. The end-of-year 2020 total is 0.8 million b/cd less than the 19.0 million b/cd of refining capacity at the start of 2020. According to the data in our annual Refinery Capacity Report, the beginning of 2021 marks the lowest annual capacity figure to start the year since 2015. Based on information reported to us in our recent update, U.S. refining capacity will not expand significantly during 2021.
    At the beginning of 2021, 129 refineries were either operating or idle in the United States [[excluding U.S. territories), down from 135 operable refineries listed at the beginning of 2020. The additional refinery closures in the 2021 Refinery Capacity Report largely reflect the impact of responses to COVID-19 on the U.S. refining sector.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=48636

Covid did not go away from one day to the next,the idled refineries could have started to ramp up production as the states started releasing restrictions,common sense dictates that when people come off of house arrest they are going to drive again which would increase the demand.

I agree with you the gas refineries never manipulate supply in order to increase prices,because they are the poster child of honest business practices.

I bought the Brooklyn bridge during the pandemic and am now short on cash,I can sell it to you cheap.

The U.S. consumes 8.80 million barrels of oil per day,or 365 million gallons of gasoline per day,the 6 that shut down contributed less then 1 million barrels per day ,they had little impact on the bigger picture.

You have to understand the difference between an idled refinery verses a shut down refinery,my bad I assumed,because it is no different then an automobile manufacturer I figured it would be common there.

If I am not mistaken,it is 2022 so they have had over 1.5 years to start ramping up production,but they have not.

On the E15,so explain to me how the existing refineries are going to be able to meet the 2023 EPA guidelines and spend billions without jacking the price of gas up to $30 a gallon without the use of the tax credits?

Are you thinking they are the only corporation in the world that does not pass added cost down to the consumer?

I already have an additional $25 a month fuel charge on top of a $15 per month green energy pre charge added to my electric bill starting 3 months ago,not sure why people have it in their mind the evil corporations are going to absorb all of this out of the kindness of their hearts.

It’s not a conspiracy theory,crap rolls downhill,who do you think is at the bottom of the hill?

I would love to see every refinery shut down in 2023 because of a mandated EPA regulation,the current administrations party would hold no office for the next 50 years.

Thats what happens when you put the cart before the horse just to appease a minority,I paid $5 per gallon today,not that I care because I just pass down the increased amount down to my customers,and they pass it down to the person in the street that is struggling to pay the rent.

See how that works?

19 food processing plants have also burned or exploded this year,they will not be able to feed the country and process the corn for E15 at this point,we are heading for a shit storm come fall even worse if they cannot roll the E15 tax credits over come 2023.

The 2 things this country runs on,food and fuel,is going to be in short supply.

I guess the silver lining in all of this, is we so far do not have bombs raining down on us from the WW3 that you guys started,so $5 per gallon becomes insignificant in the grand scope of thingsz
    Last edited by Richard; April-26-22 at 10:59 PM.