My expectations at the start of the year aligned with where they ended up. However, when they went on a tear and had one of the best records in the NHL from Jan 1st thru March 1st and were in a comfortable playoff position, my expectations changed. I would call this nothing less than a collapse and I'm going to put it firmly on Derek Lalonde. The lack of effort, the horrible starts, constantly playing from behind to me is a direct result of coaching. Hell, the last 2 games needed to be come from behind miracles against a garbage team and a blown 4-1 lead against the Leafs. That to me is not indicative of a team fighting for their playoff life except for 10 minute flashes.

How to fix it? I firmly believe something happened where Lalonde lost the room in March. Larkin went down, and that hurts, but no excuse to lose 7 in a row to trash teams like Buffalo and Arizona [[TWICE). There was such a lack of effort in those games it was mind blowing. So to me, Lalonde goes or at the least whomever was running the D. If he doesn't go and the Wings get off to a bad start next season, he's gone after 10 games.

The Defense needs an upgrade, with Edvinsson being a full timer. Beyond him, Seider, Ghost, Walman, wave bye to the rest.

Goaltending with Lyon & Reimer was serviceable but not where it needs to be. I'd like to see Stevie go out and get a guy who's gonna post a sub 2.50gaa and .910svp. Lyon can be a decent backup, Husso's health is a huge question mark.

Forwards, resign Kane to a 2 year and get Raymond locked up long term. As much as I like Larkin and he drives the bus, we need a stud #1 center and another guy who can throw in 30+ goals. Get some of the young GR guys up and in the mix.

Bottom line: barring any massive injuries, it is playoffs or bust next year.