Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Detroit's Faygo

Faygo glass bottle 6 packs are at the Allen Park Meijer.

Creme Soda, Orange and Red Pop I believe. $4.99 + Dep.

Single glass bottles are at Westborn Market in Dearborn.

Vanilla Creme Soda, Orange, Red Pop, Grape, Rock & Rye, Root Beer
    Last edited by msamslex; November-30-09 at 09:12 PM.

I was looking through some family photos and found the following. Please direct your attention to the bottle on the table -- it's Towne Club!

My fav was always the Pineapple Soda, which was yellow in color, so I'm fairly certain that this was not my selection... [[FYI, that's me in the center.)

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    My latest search is for Black Raspberry and Creme Soda [[not Vanilla)...
    I live in Chicago and I can always find Black Cherry at the Meijer on Haggerty Road and Maple. I get it when I am in town and my parents get it for me when they come to visit. I always have a 12-pack of Black Cherry and Red Pop on hand. If you want a good diet Black Cherry you should try Fresca Black Cherry.

3 Liters can be found at Walmart, Dearborn

$1.17+ Dep

Which way did he go, which way did he go...

Ravine Guest

I love Faygo. Currently, I have developed a recurrent lust for Orange. I like almost all of them, even the Cola [[now that will elicit a serious, Richter Scale-registering burp.)
    It is true, that some of the flavors used to be much better. Grape, for instance, used to be one of my big favorites, and while I still like it, it has lost something.

But, what I dropped into this thread to announce is that-- for whatever reason-- the gas station at the corner of Plymouth Road & Hubbell [[NW side of town, between Greenfield & Schaefer) has about three flavors in glass bottles. I saw them at a moment when I couldn't afford to do any extra buying, so I kept moving and, sadly, cannot remember, and report, which flavors they were.
    However, I will soon go back there, and return to this thread with the specifics.
    And yes, Gannon, I will check to see if they are sugared or HFCS'ed. If they have Grape, and it is sugared, maybe then I will get back the Faygo Grape I used to love.

Ravine Guest

Thinking about them moved me to return at once.

They had, in glass & with cane sugar: Root Beer [[which I'm about to pop open,) Red Pop, and Vanilla Cream.
    They didn't have a lot of them. I'm there all of the time [[my corner,) so I will keep tabs on the stock and file reports herein.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Rock-n-Rye floats were great.

My primary was Creme Soda though. Haven't found that in eons.

What was the other brand where you could mix 'n match individual bottles to make a case? They were located in what seemed to be vacant store fronts. No decor at all, hardly even any lights. Cases were stacked everywhere, all kinds of weird flavors. You picked up the wooden case when you went in and brought back the case and the empty bottles on your next trip.
    Lolli-Pop with their Doctor Lolli Dr Pepper rip=off.

Last Doctor Lolli store I saw was in Virginia in the mid-seventies.

Supposedly pure cane sugar.
    Last edited by Hermod; January-06-10 at 06:08 PM. Reason: To add a sentence as an afterthought

Quote Originally Posted by tomjanneck View Post
    Which way did he go, which way did he go...

He went for FAY-AY-AY-AY GO
    Faygo Old-Fashioned Root Beer.

Ginger Ale

Faygo, Faygo, extra dry Faygo.......

When I was a kid, we weren't allowed to have any pop at home [[10681 Nottingham) unless there was some kind of celebration. When we went up to the flats for the weekend at my grandfather's hunting shack we always stocked up big time with pop.

My Dad was a purist and preferred brand names:
    Coca-Cola [[no Pepsi allowed)
    Vernor's Ginger Ale
    Hire's Root Beer
    Squirt
    Nehi Orange [[I couldn't stand it)

The only Faygo we ever bought were things like Strawberry, Raspberry, and Cherry.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Thinking about them moved me to return at once.

They had, in glass & with cane sugar: Root Beer [[which I'm about to pop open,) Red Pop, and Vanilla Cream.
    They didn't have a lot of them. I'm there all of the time [[my corner,) so I will keep tabs on the stock and file reports herein.
    They also acquired Grape.

Sure, maybe being bottled in an actual glass bottle helps, but Mrs. Ravine & I both failed to see any remarkable difference.
    I think the HFCS vs. cane sugar issue is of yeah'bout no significance. Talk yourself into believing otherwise, if you like, but I think the Real Deal is that-- like everything else-- they just don't make things they way they used to, and Faygo with cane sugar and bottled in glass is not quite as tasty as it once was.
    I happen to believe that it is still really good, though, so I don't care too much. Faygo Orange is still yummy.

Default Old Faygo Boat Song Commercial

Check out this Faygo commercial from the 1970s Filmed and made in Detroit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqyDj7RX6Y

Love to know who the piano players are.

I used to have a 45 of this back in the day.

Comic books and rubber bands
    Climb into the tree top
    Falling down and holding hands
    Tricycles and Redpop
    Pony rides and Sunday nights
    Roller skates and snowball fights
    Climbin' through the window
    Remember when you were a kid?
    Well, part of you still is
    And that's why we make Faygo
    Faygo remembers
    Flying kites and funny shoes
    Easter eggs with speckles
    ABCs and counting by twos
    Washing off the freckles
    Kissing a hurt to make it stop
    Startin' school in September
    So many things you almost forgot
    Tryin' to remember
    Remember when you were a kid?
    Well, part of you still is
    And that's why we make Faygo
    Faygo remembers.

Digging up an old thread here since I found Towne Club this past weekend at Plum Market in W. Bloomfield. They had 4 or 5 flavors, all in glass bottles. After purchasing it however, I read the ingredients and found that they use sucralose [[Splenda) instead of sugar or HFCS. I haven't tried it yet, will report back when I do.

I wonder how much that Towne Club wooden crate [[pictured above) went for on eBay? I currently have two of them filled with empty bottles just collecting dust here. I also have an unopened bottle still in my fridge.

As for Faygo, I do like the 60/40 [[tastes like Squirt) and Peach.

Glad to see this thread come back - Just on a side note, you can find Faygo Cola and Cream Soda here in Raleigh NC in 24oz bottles in a small party store right across from NC State. Happiest day of my life when I saw them in the fridge!

The Dude Guest

I remember Faygo Brau. Wish they brought it back. I remember the commercials for FAygo Brau, they would have kids singing to the tunes of beer commercials of the day [[1969-70).

Sweet Sixteen had a girl with a big hat on the bottle. It was 16 oz, and boy was it SWEET, I think they used 2x the sugar than other pop.

I remember when Faygo Moon Mist was called Moonshine.

Faygo 60/40 is a rip off of Canfield's 50/50. Canfield's is to Chicago what Faygo is to Detroit.

When I was a kid the root beer choices you had at the store were Hires, Mason's, Frostie, Brownie, Dad's[[it was almost black), Faygo. Barq's and Mug were not in the Detroit area then, and A&W was only at the A&W restaurants then. I think Canada Dry had a root beer, too. At one time Canada Dry had flavors like Faygo, but I think they just make ginger ale and mixers today.

The Faygo pop discussion went dormant a while back... This past weekend I fell of the wagon avoiding high fructose, rainbow colored beverages and purchased a bottle of Faygo 'Rock n Rye' and it is was GREAT! I think the last time I had it was 15+ years ago. Yummy!

R & R has a distinct rich flavor, super sweet, so sweet I was not sure I could get into it, but served ICE cold with lots of ice - it is a good decadent treat. What's the coloring! Can't be good for you - LOL - but hey mid summer, once in a while - why not.

I brought another small bottle today but will probably stop it now before it gets to be a habit! Hah!

Go Faygo! Any other favorites or new Faygo discoveries out there?
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-25-11 at 01:44 PM.

RIP Black Raspberry.

I'll never forgive them for discontinuing that one.

Ohana Pink Lemonade is my new favorite this Summer.

...there need to be more diet flavor options--
    have there ever been these flavors-
    watermelon
    chocolate soda
    blueberry
    papaya
    apple

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    watermelon
    chocolate soda
    blueberry
    papaya
    apple
    Talk to John at Galco's Soda Pop Stop in L.A.

He's really into it [[Well, maybe not so much the diets.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    watermelon
    chocolate soda
    blueberry
    papaya
    apple
    I agree, sometimes it's hard to find diet even in convienence stores that sell Faygo.

GUSHI Guest

I love REDPOP!

Did you know you can make Rock N Rye by mixing Red Pop and Cola 50/50?

I drink a Faygo every night after dinner, Cola, Dr.Faygo,Cherry Cola etc.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast