Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
Seems to me they're spaced out too far to have the effect of taking areas off the grid. Or is this at all related to that?
Take a look at the map again. There are three main clusters -- Brightmoor, the area near Gratiot-6 Mile/7 Mile [[Osbourne?), and the northern near east side [[clear line between Kerchavel and the north, the villages being south).

The hardest hit Michigan zip code of the foreclosure crisis was the Gratiot-6 Mile/7 Mile area. Wouldn't be surprised of Brighmoor was close behind. I'm surprised the State Fair area isn't on this list, as it has been literally ransacked in the last 5 years. Block by block, house by house have been abandoned, stripped or burned, all in a matter of a couple years.

I think this evidence suggests that contrary to popular belief, the core neighborhoods around Downtown are pretty resilient. But the fact remains that each neighborhood is different. Some outer neighborhoods thrive, others are quickly being torn apart. Some inner neighborhoods thrive, while others continue the gradual decline they have been witnessing for half a century. But I think the outer neighborhoods are seeing the most striking and fast change.