Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

As was fairly evidenced by the first several comments, Detroit's woes began way before the current recession/depression. It should come as no surprise that we are "ground zero" for these economic maladies. It is what is called "going from bad to worse." People who love this city [[as I do) should be thankful, in a way, for this kind of coverage. Perhaps it will bring some outside intervention. God knows we need it.

Quote Originally Posted by menckensghost View Post
    As was fairly evidenced by the first several comments, Detroit's woes began way before the current recession/depression. It should come as no surprise that we are "ground zero" for these economic maladies. It is what is called "going from bad to worse." People who love this city [[as I do) should be thankful, in a way, for this kind of coverage. Perhaps it will bring some outside intervention. God knows we need it.
    While that may be true, Detroit's [[or Michigan's) problems didn't really hit rock bottom until the credit freeze. I don't even remember a time when the more stable outer ring neighborhoods/iiner ring suburbs looked so, well, dead before the foreclosures, nor have I ever seen the roads seem so empty during rush hour. Detroit [[especially it's inner city) was approaching the tipping point of a real revival until the banks stopped lending out money to the people [[in general). Remember, the only reason Ford didn't accept any bail out money [[well actually, they did get a 5 billion dollar loan under the table), send out the massive list of layoffs or go bankrupt they had credit to fall back on. GM & Chrysler did not.