Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

When I had my place downtown, I had customers from the synagogue. I went in a few times. It still had quite a few members [[congregants?) though I'm sure that's all relative. I met some of them while lunching next door at what is now D'Mongo's. It had been an old Sero's Coney and though it was operated by Connie and Dale as a small lunch counter, it still had the Sero's name on it.They served very good, fresh, food but were unable to keep it open after about 1984-85. The strip club across the street had been the Mayfield Chop House. Krazy Craig bought it and attempted to keep operating it as a restaurant. After finally giving up, he changed the name to 'Krazy Craig's' [[aptly titled) and operated, along with the Famous Door, just up the street, as a daytime neighborhood bar, nightime gay bar. Along with Shopper's Lounge and the Boston Bar, they comprised a big gay bar scene downtown. It was pretty lively along Griswold but destined to fade with the closings of the aforementioned places as well as Sunnie's. The synagogue would sometimes be open for services while the street scene along Griswold was rocking. It made for an interesting mix of people. Oh, the famous clothing store was also still there. Help me with the name. Was it Kouzen's? And the Wendy's? Taco Bell? At the N.E. corner of Griswold and Grand River. Across from Josh Greenwood's little coffee house in the parking structure.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    When I had my place downtown, I had customers from the synagogue. I went in a few times. It still had quite a few members [[congregants?) though I'm sure that's all relative. I met some of them while lunching next door at what is now D'Mongo's. It had been an old Sero's Coney and though it was operated by Connie and Dale as a small lunch counter, it still had the Sero's name on it.They served very good, fresh, food but were unable to keep it open after about 1984-85. The strip club across the street had been the Mayfield Chop House. Krazy Craig bought it and attempted to keep operating it as a restaurant. After finally giving up, he changed the name to 'Krazy Craig's' [[aptly titled) and operated, along with the Famous Door, just up the street, as a daytime neighborhood bar, nightime gay bar. Along with Shopper's Lounge and the Boston Bar, they comprised a big gay bar scene downtown. It was pretty lively along Griswold but destined to fade with the closings of the aforementioned places as well as Sunnie's. The synagogue would sometimes be open for services while the street scene along Griswold was rocking. It made for an interesting mix of people. Oh, the famous clothing store was also still there. Help me with the name. Was it Kouzen's? And the Wendy's? Taco Bell? At the N.E. corner of Griswold and Grand River. Across from Josh Greenwood's little coffee house in the parking structure.
    Clothing store was called Kosins. It was owned by two brothers, Harry and Benny Kosins. They sold mens furnishings. They were open in the city of Southfield on Southfield Road for years.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Clothing store was called Kosins. It was owned by two brothers, Harry and Benny Kosins. They sold mens furnishings. They were open in the city of Southfield on Southfield Road for years.
    Yeah, that's it. Thanks softailrider. I bought clothing from Kosins Griswold store before they closed. And I remember seeing their store on Southfield Road.

If Comerica Park had not been built, I would not have known of this place.I am not Jewish or do I live Downtown. Best of Luck to those in the congregation.
    As for the Kosins connection, All I can say is Kosins with a K , Chuck Daly was their pitchman I belive.

LodgeDodger Guest

Yeah, that's it. Thanks softailrider. I bought clothing from Kosins Griswold store before they closed. And I remember seeing their store on Southfield Road.
    Betterhalf worked for Kosins years ago.

Interesting history. Hopefully the strip can become vibrant again. I stopped in the synagogue a while back for some functiona and was made to feel welcom, was offered food and drink and given a tour.I was also handed some literature that detailed the history of the Synagogue.

I'm glad the Downtown Synagogue still makes its spot in Downtown Detroit. Unlike other Jewish Detroit neighborhood synagogues pack up their congregations and their Torahs and left for Oakland County Cities.

There still a few Jewish folks left in Detroit, they are not long gone, yet.

What kind of business did you own?