Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post
    Disgusting Islamaphobia....
    Your statement seems ignorant and inflammatory.

I don't think 1st Sgt said anything about Islam in his post....

It appears he is merely stating his disgust at a human being who took the lives of other human beings and injured many more. My understanding of his statement "It's hard to take this all in, it's one thing to go over there to face the enemy and danger, but to have it show up in the ranks at home is madness." was that our soldiers don't expect to face any kind of enemy or danger while living and working in their home military base.

1st Sgt...first let me thank you for your dedicated volunteer service to our country. I am one of those people who randomly thank or salute our military personnel as I see them on the street. You are braver men and women that I would have ever been. I deeply appreciately what you do to keep our county safe.

Second, I wish I could put my arms around you and try to comfort you at this tragic time. Hopefully, when your grief hs subsided, you will regain your sense of security. My prayers are with all of those effected by this tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    It appears he is merely stating his disgust at a human being who took the lives of other human beings and injured many more. .
    Was this incident more disgusting than the DoD/CIA Predator drones blowing up hundreds of Afghan civilians to bits? Or do they not count as much because they are muslims thousands of miles away? The senseless loss of life should never be accepted, whether its in Fort Hood or Waziristan.

Although I believe the root cause of yesterday's shooting to be the major's possible mental illness, there are some interesting aspects to it. He wasn't randomly shooting up some school, post office, or shopping mall....he shot up a center that exists to process deploying/re-deploying soldiers..i.e. combatants. The major should try to argue that he "switched teams" and press for enemy combatant status. It would probably be fruitless, but he could spare himself the noose and get a trip to the Supermax.

Condolences to the victims of this tragic event. IMO this has as little to do with Islam as some Christian killing a doctor who performs abortions has to do with Christianity. Both are murderers and probably mentally distrubed as well.

It does baffle me as to how the alleged shooter could have risen to the rank of major particularly as some of the details of his checkered past are trickling out. I am sure that will be grist for the blogosphere for some time to come.

Another sadly ironic detail while not at all surprising upon reflection, was something that never occurred to me -- that soldiers on base are unarmed and therefore helpless in a situation like this.

IMO this has as little to do with Islam as some Christian killing a doctor who performs abortions has to do with Christianity. Both are murderers and probably mentally distrubed as well.
    Yes, they are probably both mentally disturbed, but that's as far as I would agree with your characterization. Maj. Hasan is a mass murderer who reportedly shouted a profession of his Islamic faith as he opened fire on his victims.

From the Associated Press:

Soldiers who witnessed the rampage reported that the gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar!" — an Arabic phrase for "God is great!" — before opening fire, said Lt. Gen. Robert Cone, the base commander. He said officials had not yet confirmed that Hasan made the comment before the shooting spree.

He yelled what? Who cares, the guy was obviously mentally ill. We have some here, we call them [[insert whatever you want here). A few Committing acts of violence in the name of any religion is not justification to persecute an entire race or religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Another sadly ironic detail while not at all surprising upon reflection, was something that never occurred to me -- that soldiers on base are unarmed and therefore helpless in a situation like this.
    Yep - it was a female police officer who returned fire on the shooter, hitting her target with all four shots after being wounded herself.

Early ballistics are starting to question the ability of one shooter to wound so many. It appears that friendly fire may account for some of the casualties.

What really sucks is where he decided to start shooting, It is an area where soldiers depart for war, and it is also the place where soldiers return from war. Some of the murdered people may have just returned from active duty In Country, thinking they were now safe on American soil.

in regards to what a mad man shouted in his last moments this was a calculated act of murder based on his own issues, not his religion. However, if one looks at the dress [[white robe) prior to the shooting spree...he was preparing himself for something afterwards...but regardless this is not a expression of his Jihad- it is expression of unbridled anger and mental health related issues. Looking at the antecedents will be left up to the FBI/..our hearts are withthe families and the wounded...I totally agree with stashmoo..we have to be careful of drawing to many conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    The major should try to argue that he "switched teams" and press for enemy combatant status. It would probably be fruitless, but he could spare himself the noose and get a trip to the Supermax.
    That's called treason.

IMO it makes as much sense to hastily blame this tragedy on mental illness as it does to dismiss the influence of the shooters Islamic faith. No one in their right mind would blame every Muslim for the actions of a few, but it's hard to disregard the influence that the religion has on some individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    No one in their right mind would blame every Muslim for the actions of a few, but it's hard to disregard the influence that the religion has on some individuals.
    Cleary you have never listened to right-wing political talk radio...

ccbatson Guest

A domestic islamic radical terrorist...not a good thing as how does a nation defend itself against this? The only strategy that makes any sense is to turn up the heat on the identifiable root and source of these radicals.

or a person who was deeply upset about his perceived treatment..Mental Health all over this my good Doctor...whose actions mimic a terrorist attack...Guess what, you are joining into the corps of Anti Muslim..not understanding that the facts of this horrible murder is not completely out...no sleeper cells, just a disturbed person...whose mind was tortured by his beliefs and the conflict with his duty..this is bad for the many of Muslims who served our country well in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Cleary you have never listened to right-wing political talk radio...

And clearly neither have you. Another broad brushed assumption that tries to tamp down any rational debate.

an Abortion bomber, a Timothy McVeigh or a Muslim Major...their agenda varied but the result are always the same..death of innocents...so yes in a way very much like foreign Terrorists...but the resulting backlash on innocents that share a similar background will perpetuate the hate and xenophobia

ccbatson Guest

Nope...I wish that were true Gibran...you will see as he is alive. This was not insanity, nor the act of a "deeply upset" person. Notice I make it clear that this is not anti islam in general, but anti radical islamic terrorism.

3 elements apply as per the phrase;

Radical....extreme ideology and interpretation of the religious islamic scripture [[which can be found in any religion).

Islamic....that is the faith and expressed motivation by this evil piece of garbage.

Terrorism/terrorist act....talking crazy is not a problem, shooting and killing/injuring innocent people, that is a major problem.

Another disgruntled middle aged man shooting up his workplace, as happened AGAIN today.
    It's all terrorism.

There's really no place that you are safe in America from disgruntled guys with guns.

The fact that this guy was a mental health professional and that his mind was addled by religious BS sure gets him extra coverage, though.

Default re: shooting

Anybody look at the site with the victims photos..........so sad, they are just kids, so young..... Jane

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091106/...ctim_vignettes

ccbatson Guest

Sad, and maddening.

Sad, and maddening, indeed. Broken families. Children who will never know their parents. Ruined dreams.
    All because a selfish and just plain bad person chose to harm others. He should be held in contempt and criticized for choosing to commit this act, if convicted at trial/court martial.
    It now appears he based his atrocious behavior at least partly due to his religious beliefs. No surprise here.
    The world needs more thinking and less praying.
    Last edited by Bobl; November-06-09 at 06:27 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote: "All because a selfish and just plain bad person chose to harm others."

If it was religious or politically motivated, we can blame our foreign policy. I've been tongue in cheek since this happened, but didn't dear Hillary just go over there and piss them all off? praising Netanyahu and the settlements, when she realized she was whacking on the hornets nest, she quickly changed her story. The time has come for this country to take a firm stance and make some tough choices about our relationship and direction. Don't send forked tongue morons over there to mediate, say one thing one place, and speak differently down the road. She is a liar and not even a very good one. If you're looking for a why that happened, that'd be my guess.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; November-06-09 at 06:40 PM.

......Oh, it is all clear now....it's Hillary's fault!!????
    WTF?
    Wrong. A truly evil and very selfish person chose to perform a cowardly and destructive act, at least partially rationalized by religious ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    I've been tongue in cheek since this happened, but didn't dear Hillary just go over there and piss them all off?
    So now you put the blame on Hilary? Aren't you one of the ones here who call for personal accountability? You get my vote for the stupidest post of the day.

The guy is the same as Tim McVie, Eric Rudolph, John Allen Muhammad, and the 911 hijackers, a terrorist plan and simple. It really doesn't matter the reasons one becomes a terrorist, the end result is all the same...innocent people die.

Seems like we need an "insane gunman of the day" thread now...

No Mention of the shootings in Orlando?

ccbatson Guest

Unfortunately, this is not just an "insane" gunman...this is another radical islamic terrorist.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast