I remember the marker for Ralph Bunche's birthplace. It was on the front of a supermarket on Fort St. and Campbell, a block west of Junction. Although, if I'm correct, the actual birthplace had stood on the street behind the market, Anthon St. The supermarket was eventually abandoned and the marker disappeared not long after. The store building has been gone for awhile now, but the last time I drove by there the frame for the store's sign [[not the Ralph Bunche plaque) was still standing out by the sidewalk on Fort.

It really is a shame, and indicative of the way we treat our history around here. Ralph Bunche was a truly great American and world citizen, and Detroit should be very proud of the fact that he was born here. Look him up!!

This really shouldn't be a thread about Obama's winning of the prize, and whether or not he deserved it. That's pretty tiresome and has little or nothing to do with Detroit. Instead it should be a thread about recalling and recognizing Ralph Bunche and reclaiming his rightful place of honor here in his birthplace. At least enough to get his damn plaque back up!