Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Default Former Southwest Detroit Hospital sold

I wonder what will be built at the site.

Controversial landlord unloads large abandoned Corktown property

Controversial Detroit landlord Dennis Kefallinos has sold the abandoned former Southwest Detroit Hospital. The $6.5 million sale took place March 15, according to city property records. The seller was Kefallinos’s 20th Street Development Property LLC and the buyer was an entity called 402310 Holdings LLC. Business incorporation documents for the purchasing entity do not reveal who is behind it, although city property records list the taxpayer address as a home owned by Edward Siegel, a former owner of the Urban Bean Co. coffee shop [[now called Spkrbox) in the Capitol Park neighborhood.Plans for the hospital and its property, which is about 250,000 square feet on close to 5.6 acres at Michigan Avenue and 20th Street on the Corktown neighborhood’s western-most edge, are not known. The hospital has been vacant for nearly two decades.

On Thursday afternoon, Siegel verified he bought the old hospital but wouldn’t discuss “the project, partners or clients” for the site, which has attracted intrigue the last few years. That's in part because of its location just a few blocks west of the soon-to-reopen redeveloped Michigan Central Station owned by Ford Motor Co., and a longstanding — now deteriorated — sign Kefallinos installed promising a mixed-use redevelopment in 2020 that never came.

An email was sent to Kefallinos seeking comment on Thursday and a voicemail was left with one of his deputies as well. There have been several attempts to knock the building down dating back more than a decade, but it remains standing. City property records list the assessed value at $2.66 million. In 2021, Kefallinos listed it for sale for $17.5 million as the city was attempting to tear it down.

City records show at least 93 blight violations at the property over the years, including many under previous ownership.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...sold-new-owner

I'm glad that slumlord sold that building. Dennis Kefallinos will never do something to that building.

Dan Gilbert's alter ego. Kefallinos. Everything he touches turned to crap.

Good, Kefallinos was never going to do anything with it!

I really want to know why he's knocking out all the walls in his cold storage building. That thing has been a blight on Corktown for decades, I assume he's just planning to make it an open air blight.

Here is the answer to what is next for the hospital site:

https://archive.ph/2024.05.16-163237...anned-corktown

This is lowkey a HUGE deal. They will really thrive in Corktown, and it's good to see Corktown get another stadium again after the Tigers moved. Plus that is a great location. I know people don't want them to be moved to MLS, but a new stadium would for sure make that more of an argument now

Wow, that's awesome! Great use of land that would be hard to do much with considering its proximity to the massive highway interchange and the DPW blight next door. Speaking of which, how about DPW moves to some of the under utilized industrial space elsewhere in the city rather than creating a dead zone right on Michigan Ave in the hottest neighborhood in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah V View Post
    This is lowkey a HUGE deal. They will really thrive in Corktown, and it's good to see Corktown get another stadium again after the Tigers moved. Plus that is a great location. I know people don't want them to be moved to MLS, but a new stadium would for sure make that more of an argument now
    I am against MLS for a variety of reasons, not necessarily for discussion here. But I will say what this does is allow DCFC to compete at a higher level without exceeding their already limited means. They have lost out on high profile international friendlies [[$$$) as a result of their current stadium situation. Better facilities will also allow for the signing of better players. They have lost players due to the current stadium sitation.

From the development perspective...This will bring more people to Corktown, not have a negative impact on any residential communities, and provide another venue for community activation. I am certain there will be more to this development than just a stadium structure. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes around Detroit City FC knows there is always a bigger picture.

I really hope this puts pressure on the city to sell the land between MCS and this new stadium. You would think developers would jump at the opportunity to be involved in that part of town with two anchors like this.

14,000 seats is a real good size. My hope is that the design is adaptable in that it could expand to 20k+ should the need arise. A lot of people hate MLS but this certainly seems to be the trajectory at the moment regardless of the feelings toward the upper league.

Now Kefallinos needs to see the once Michigan Theater Building. That building is a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I really hope this puts pressure on the city to sell the land between MCS and this new stadium. You would think developers would jump at the opportunity to be involved in that part of town with two anchors like this.

14,000 seats is a real good size. My hope is that the design is adaptable in that it could expand to 20k+ should the need arise. A lot of people hate MLS but this certainly seems to be the trajectory at the moment regardless of the feelings toward the upper league.
    I hope they put in seats that are good for sleeping, for me, Soccer is a total snooze fest.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I hope they put in seats that are good for sleeping, for me, Soccer is a total snooze fest.
    I would agree but hard for me to do that when I've been watching the Tigers offense, compared to that it's non-stop excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Cool.

how about the Roosevelt Hotel? and that bldg on Lafayette and 14th?