Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Buy American Guest

Meddle, your credibility is in question. Why don't you answer my inquiries regarding your history with the DFD or any Fire Department or Police Department? As someone pointed out above, you are a known troll, or, in my opinion, you are a wannabee fireman with delusions. Personally, I think you're a fire buff and I remember many times how we considered people like you a nuisance or even a danger to operations because somehow you felt entitled to be at a fire scene. Many of them would actually have red cars, fire stickers on their bumper, hats resembling official caps...anything pertaining to the fire department to look important....could that have been you?

your credibility is in question.
    No it isn't, as the two other posters have stated the same thing I have.

You say it didn't happen because you don't remember it. That's like saying there has never been an accident at a certain intersection because you don't remember it. You not remembering something doesn't prove it never happened.

Imagine what high warn tropical storm winds can do if all the powerlines fell into the dry surfaces in every last Detroit neighborhoods and suburbs? It would be a natural disaster in post-Katrina effects.

Be well aware that all the mostly white suburbs will have to keep a eye on Detroit and its poor black communities. If Detroit falls, blacks leave and the suburbs DIE!

This is an effect that happen after 1,500,000 white families left Detroit long ago leaving, behind their historical homes and businesses the grandmas and grandads put their blood, sweat and tears to achive the American dream.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Be well aware that all the mostly white suburbs will have to keep a eye on Detroit and its poor black communities. If Detroit falls, blacks leave and the suburbs DIE!

This is an effect that happen after 1,500,000 white families left Detroit long ago leaving, behind their historical homes and businesses the grandmas and grandads put their blood, sweat and tears to achive the American dream.
    Unbelievably racist sentiments. Whatever, Danny.

The big question is what is Edison going to do to compensate those who lost out to their poor line maintenance?

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Don't know about tonight, but in the 80s I stood on a few scenes and watched Dearborn, Southfield, East Detroit and one of the GPs working with DFD crews. I used to have some pictures somewhere, but I've lost track of them.
    That tells me all I need to know about you Meddle.

Reading all the back and forth about whether suburban departments routinely help the DFD, I conclude that this is really a discussion about how far and how fast a once-mighty and storied department has fallen - enough to need extra help from little departments like harper Woods, etc.

I wish DFD Danny McNamara could chime in here. He is, I think, at least a fifth-generation DFD person, and now president of the Detroit Firefighters Union. His great-grandfather led fire brigades in Corktown when whole blocks would routinely burn - but a lot of progress was certainly made through the 20th century to keep Detroit safe. When was the last time an entire block burned in Detroit?
    But now, in the 21st century, where are we? Blocks going down again like in the 1890's. I think the picture of entire blocks going up in flames is so shocking because you can visualize the retrogression we have been hearing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    That tells me all I need to know about you Meddle.
    Enough already. It has become quite tedious reading your lame attempts at starting an argument. If credibility is an issue, then that issue is with you... afterall, the last stand of the defeated is personal attacks.

That being said... I don't have pictures but I have memories of at least two of the Grosse Pointe's dispatching fire support during the 1967 riots. Having seen this with my own two eyes, I think it quite a bit more reliable than "it didn't happen because I don't remember it."

Now.. dude... shut up and go away.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Reading all the back and forth about whether suburban departments routinely help the DFD, I conclude that this is really a discussion about how far and how fast a once-mighty and storied department has fallen - enough to need extra help from little departments like harper Woods, etc.

I wish DFD Danny McNamara could chime in here. He is, I think, at least a fifth-generation DFD person, and now president of the Detroit Firefighters Union. His great-grandfather led fire brigades in Corktown when whole blocks would routinely burn - but a lot of progress was certainly made through the 20th century to keep Detroit safe. When was the last time an entire block burned in Detroit?
    But now, in the 21st century, where are we? Blocks going down again like in the 1890's. I think the picture of entire blocks going up in flames is so shocking because you can visualize the retrogression we have been hearing about.
    Well said, and I think the visualization of entire blocks burning is quite powerful. As others have posted look out & take cover for Devil's Night next month. We had better pray for rain & lots of it for that weekend.

Default thr fires

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Pray for the firefighters working all of these fires, they'll be working the fires and downed wires all night. We don't need any more firefighters hurt in arson fires after Friday the 13th.
    yes pray for all the fire fighters working on all the fires,what a wonderful job they have all done..

Buy American Guest

[quote=Lloyd;180071]Enough already. It has become quite tedious reading your lame attempts at starting an argument. If credibility is an issue, then that issue is with you... afterall, the last stand of the defeated is personal attacks.

That being said... I don't have pictures but I have memories of at least two of the Grosse Pointe's dispatching fire support during the 1967 riots. Having seen this with my own two eyes, I think it quite a bit more reliable than "it didn't happen because I don't remember it."

Now.. dude... shut up and go away.[/quote)

Who the hell are you?

I didn't start this argument and if someone is questioning my integrity I take issue with it, plain and simple. If you saw GP during the riots I have no problem with that, as I stated before. My problem is these others who continue to spin a story that I know for a fact isn't true.

Now.. dude... you shut up and go away!

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Unbelievably racist sentiments. Whatever, Danny.
    Try not to apply Godwin's Law or George Orwell's Prestigious Diction Theorem into this subject. That sentiment is not racist. You sentence is NON-SEQUITOR to any of my urban sentence. There will be causality in the universe. We are a part of it and we cannot escape it. Detroit and its people has been in part of the cause and effect in a matter of race. White folks left Detroit a void has be filled, that void is blacks folks. WHY? because they choose to live in that area and they fought real estate restrictive covenants through new Civil Right Laws and get away from the slums as possible. It's not just because they want to live next to white folks. Mexican, Hispanics, Arabs, Chaldeans, Asians can fill the void, too. If they decide that specific ghettohood is good for them. Now all of suburbs as far as 30 Mile Rd. relies of DETROIT for gas electric and water rights and Detroit City services are doing just fine despite its constant back-ups. If Detroit and its city leaders fail to supply these regional resources to the mostly white suburbs, the whole structure will collapse. It's urban theory that might become science.

If Detroit dies, the suburbs die. The Earth dies, life will die just as the sun dies, the Earth and the rest of the Solar System dies.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Be ethical for Neda's sake.
    Last edited by Danny; September-09-10 at 01:23 PM.

I thought this thread was about the heroic efforts of DFD's finest on a very tough and challenging day. It has clearly spiraled into the abyss. God Bless the Firefighters of Detroit, they are some of the most skilled and experienced firefighters and probably stretch 10 times more than any city in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by scubashelley View Post
    from listening to firenet it sounds like they've run into problems having to stop to re-fuel and some even running out of water.
    How in the world does that happen in MICHIGAN?????

Stosh Guest

Try not to apply Godwin's Law or George Orwell's Prestigious Diction Theorem into this subject. That sentiment is not racist. You sentence is NON-SEQUITOR to any of my urban sentence. There will be causality in the universe. We are a part of it and we cannot escape it. Detroit and its people has been in part of the cause and effect in a matter of race. White folks left Detroit a void has be filled, that void is blacks folks. WHY? because they choose to live in that area and they fought real estate restrictive covenants through new Civil Right Laws and get away from the slums as possible. It's not just because they want to live next to white folks. Mexican, Hispanics, Arabs, Chaldeans, Asians can fill the void, too. If they decide that specific ghettohood is good for them. Now all of suburbs as far as 30 Mile Rd. relies of DETROIT for gas electric and water rights and Detroit City services are doing just fine despite its constant back-ups. If Detroit and its city leaders fail to supply these regional resources to the mostly white suburbs, the whole structure will collapse. It's urban theory that might become science.

If Detroit dies, the suburbs die. The Earth dies, life will die just as the sun dies, the Earth and the rest of the Solar System dies.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Be ethical for Neda's sake.
    Just because you put it in bold type doesn't mean it makes any more sense.

Well that's a fine "how do you do!"

I was simply going to copy and paste a quote from DFD Chief Mack, as found in today's outstanding edition of the Detroit News.

Anyways, he said, "the closest I've seen were the Angels' Night fires in the '80s," the chief said.

Now, this is worrisome yet completely typical of Detroit leadership. Just revise the past and gloss things over. No, Chief, those were not 'Angels Night Fires' back in the 80's.

Nowadays, 90 fires on devils night is acceptable and considered a success, and everyone enjoys doughnuts, coffee, hot chocolate, and yellow flashers on they cars as they peruse the ghetto's of Detroit. Ha! {that remark is just a bit of parody on those selfless real SOULS who actually CARE and are UNAFRAID}.

Jezzuz on a popsikle stick, why can't our people in charge of things just call things they are/were/and should be? And then take the necessary action?

And I am really disappointed in this latest action by the beloved Detroit News {online edition} for forbidding a simple copy-and-paste. Ya'll red the article anyways, surely. And Charles Pugh.... oy... you're just happy to not be chained to the absurdity which is called Fox2 Detroit. Goodness sakes.

Not cool. Perhaps more BOLD speak is necessary.

lilpup Guest

I guess all those fires in Southern California and even the current one going near Boulder, Colorado are just figments of the imagination?

Fires occur, people - in Detroit as well as the rest of Michigan and the world.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    I guess all those fires in Southern California and even the current one going near Boulder, Colorado are just figments of the imagination?

Fires occur, people - in Detroit as well as the rest of Michigan and the world.
    I believe you are baiting the topic, pUP, with all due respect.

A raving forest fire is no comparison to burning down houses made of mortar and brick. Ferocious wilde fires in past the Great Divide are always happening. In a concrete city of Detroit, it is dispeccable. There is no comparison between a wildfire and a, um, houses burning down, one-by-one, block-by-block, street-by-street. Absolutely not an act of nature. Egadds! Wait long enough and the City is condemned.

Heh, just wait and see... the ghettos of Detroit have been reticulated to the bottom of the feed-chain. Meanwhile the Chief Of Police, The Mayor, Bob Bopp, The Schools, the DPD, they don't even know how to deal with teenagars on Joy Road. Get A Clew!

Whatever happened to that one little girl, one that called out Monica Conyers? Oh, yeah, one moment she is espoused as the best thing Detroit has to offer, and rightly so. Shit, that was almost two years ago. Drama Queens...

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    I believe you are baiting the topic, pUP, with all due respect.

A raving forest fire is no comparison to burning down houses made of mortar and brick. Ferocious wilde fires in past the Great Divide are always happening. In a concrete city of Detroit, it is dispeccable. There is no comparison between a wildfire and a, um, houses burning down, one-by-one, block-by-block, street-by-street. Absolutely not an act of nature. Egadds! Wait long enough and the City is condemned.

Heh, just wait and see... the ghettos of Detroit have been reticulated to the bottom of the feed-chain. Meanwhile the Chief Of Police, The Mayor, Bob Bopp, The Schools, the DPD, they don't even know how to deal with teenagars on Joy Road. Get A Clew!

Whatever happened to that one little girl, one that called out Monica Conyers? Oh, yeah, one moment she is espoused as the best thing Detroit has to offer, and rightly so. Shit, that was almost two years ago. Drama Queens...
    So what would be an acceptable number of fires in a night for a city with 900,000 residents?

Well... true and not true.People have been leaving Detroit for years, Southfield is full of Black professionals and it seems to be doing fine, I also hear they may be in Troy too.

The real problem is failure to redevelop the city as they keep pushing out to develop vacant land. Pontiac township was pastures and now it's Auburn Hills.
    Just think if the Chrysler HQ had been built on far East Jefferson and had the development like is in A.H.?

San Francisco is having a similar situation [[sounds worse actually) right now.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...l/7194334.html

Quote Originally Posted by Swimmaven View Post
    How in the world does that happen in MICHIGAN?????

If it's needed Firefighters have the ability to draft water from bodies of water straight to the pumper if the pressure is bad or there are no hydrants in the area. I would doubt there's any in the area though. Maybe even use a ditch.
    When my brother was on the Jasper FD in Alberta, they were having a problem with a wild fire....oddly not near any water, the tank in the pumper went dry, and they started drafting from peoples swimming pools!

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Just because you put it in bold type doesn't mean it makes any more sense.
    Just follow my codespeak and it will make sence.

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    Well... true and not true.People have been leaving Detroit for years, Southfield is full of Black professionals and it seems to be doing fine, I also hear they may be in Troy too.

The real problem is failure to redevelop the city as they keep pushing out to develop vacant land. Pontiac township was pastures and now it's Auburn Hills.
    Just think if the Chrysler HQ had been built on far East Jefferson and had the development like is in A.H.?
    "WHAT! NOT TRUE" I didn't write my comments as a fact. I wrote it as a argument. Therefore my comment is not absolute.

"failure to redevelop the city as they keep pushing out to develop vacant land. Pontiac township was pastures and now it's Auburn Hills.
    Just think if the Chrysler HQ had been built on far East Jefferson and had the development like is in A.H.?"

That's not the real problem. There's more to Detroit's urban problem than just the latter, developing land at the boondocks.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast