Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

One suggestion that I have would be for the police to do the following. First of all, the police should canvass a particular neighborhood, going door to door, asking citizens if they are aware of any illegal activity going on in their neighborhood. Secondly, establish a command center in that area in an abandoned storefront or even in a portable trailer. Thirdly, have police patrol an area heavily for a 24 or 48 hour period in patrol cars, on bikes or walking the beat, focusing on running away any illegal business if there is, for example, a known drug house, chop shop, or house of prostitution. If there was a suspected drug house in an abandoned building, the police would clear it out and board it up. Lastly, the police would move over to the adjacent neighborhood and do the same thing, but continuing to have patrols, albeit fewer, in the area that they just left. Doing all this would frustrate the criminals to either leave the area or quit what they were doing and look for legitimate work.

When I stated that police should canvass a neighborhood, I really meant that they'd do it block by block in a targeted neighborhood and when done doing the 24 or 48 hour monitoring, then they'd monitor the next block, if needed. They would then continue monitoring each block in the targeted neighborhood untill they were done.

It's not just education and jobs...during the Depression people weren't out shooting the cities up, to get money. If there's a culture of not working, not taking responsibility, of tolerating crime -- that's a problem.

Some have raised economics as the primary factor of crime.

My point is that it is not economics, but morality. Those with poor decision-making skills, lack of education, and inability to compete in capatalism are not automatically criminals. On the flip side, drug lords flush with cash compete very well in an underground capital market, understand their business, and stay alive based on their decisions, yet they are still criminals.

Most crime is due to individuals who lack morality and self control - and have no problem doing wrong to others.

Why do you think they invented religion?
    Last edited by Brainiac; June-03-10 at 11:37 PM.

Religion does not have a corner on ethics and morality, those are values many non-religious people strive for...

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    Religion does not have a corner on ethics and morality, those are values many non-religious people strive for...
    Agreed. And only a portion of religious people are actually moral.

I know the residency law has been struck down, but maybe they could offer a tax break for officers who decide to live in the city. It would be great to have more officers who actually cared at least slightly about their jobs.

Several weeks ago, we were in town when a friend who lives in Warrendale called us to report that her van was stolen. Of course they do not dispatch vehicles, so we offered to drive her to the police station on Plymouth to make a report. I was then reminded of why Detroit's crime rate is so high. We were the only people there, and were asked to sign in. There were six officers behind the counter who were either talking on their cell phones, or amongst each other. An irate woman burst into the station saying she had called five times since noon, and it was past 11pm and nobody had come out to help her oust a man who was not welcome in her home. It took her well over two hours to file a report, with maybe ten minutes of actual police interaction. I wouldn't doubt that Detroit's actual crime rate is 2-3x as high as what is officially reported, but everyone knows it's a waste of time to contact DPD.

Fine with me. Whatever!! LOL! I don't care where the morals reign or are derived from. That a secondary issue.

I just want to have people near my property and community who have core values, respect and standards that are not just daily "clocking" my comings and goings -- waking up early to watch me leave for work so as to break in my home and steal my stuff.

Yeah, that's what I want. And I am willing to relocate to have a higher percentage of that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
    Agreed. And only a portion of religious people are actually moral.
    Originally Posted by pffft

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3