Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 177 of 263 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 187 227 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I high tailed it for the exit!!!!!!!!!
    Being the total dork that I was, I made sure to pull my desk out of the way so my arithmatic book wouldn't get torn. I was the last seat in the second row from the windows, which is where the bulk of the crap fell. I sat right behind Gerald Cicotte.

I think it was Mkap that ultimately saved us that day - and did we get to go home after all that trauma???? - see guidance counselors to have us talk through the "sky falling in"????..................noooooooooooooo.......... ...we finished the school day in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Being the total dork that I was, I made sure to pull my desk out of the way so my arithmatic book wouldn't get torn. I was the last seat in the second row from the windows, which is where the bulk of the crap fell. I sat right behind Gerald Cicotte.
    that's Too funny! Didn't we have the "little house on the Prairie" desks with the inkwells and the black wrought iron on the sides? I'd guess virtually indestructible!

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    that's Too funny! Didn't we have the "little house on the Prairie" desks with the inkwells and the black wrought iron on the sides? I'd guess virtually indestructible!
    Yeah, we had those old, heavy desks with the flip up tops. I know Mark was the day-saver, but Cicotte was the one who pointed the ceiling out to the kids in the back.
    Not only did we finish the DAY in the gym, I think we finished the year there, on the stage IIRC

Yeah, we had those old, heavy desks with the flip up tops. I know Mark was the day-saver, but Cicotte was the one who pointed the ceiling out to the kids in the back.
    Not only did we finish the DAY in the gym, I think we finished the year there, on the stage IIRC

Exit... Stage Right!

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Exit... Stage Right!
    Heavens to Mercatroy.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Heavens to Mercatroy.
    I thought it was mergatroid. JC????

I'm with you on this one, EB
    Heavens to Murgatroyd' is American in origin and dates from the mid 20th century. The expression was popularized by the cartoon character Snagglepuss - a regular on the Yogi Bear Show in the 1960s, and is a variant of the earlier 'heavens to Betsy'.
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/h...urgatroyd.html

That is so cool - love the research - and the seach for Megatroyd remains!

Hey, I just misspelled it. Pronunciation is the same. Who here ever saw that word in print before?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Hey, I just misspelled it. Pronunciation is the same. Who here ever saw that word in print before?
    I wasn't correcting your spelling. I agreed with you.
    Sheez.

I just admitted to flunking out the spelling bee - so I'm not one to correct anyone's spelling. My words are easier to read now, because they're all spelled phonetically! [[is that spelled right?)

Sheez.
    That's "sheesh", as in "sheesh, what a grouch" - Yogi Bear

I stand corrected. Actually I sit, but you get the point

Sheez.
    Didn't think you were correcting my spelling. Just informing me. No malice assumed.

Default Anti Aircraft Base?

Eastburn:
    Many thanks for your confirmation of the State Liquor Store--I can't wait to inform my spooky sister...
    As far as an anti-aircraft base in the neighborhood, if you're referring to the Cleveland/Detroit Nike missile silo installations, I can verify that the closest one to us was located on Belle Isle. There were rumors that Heilmann Playfield was another Nike missile silo site--all untrue.
    I can forward a reliable web link to review, if you're interested in the locations of the area's Nike sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    We weren't under the desks. They had us along the walls hunkered down below window level. The strange thing is that I don't remember any of the kids being much bothered by all this threat of attack. It just rolled off our backs. Remember, we lived with an anti-aircraft base in our neighborhood, too.

No, 7, the tag is long gone. Would be quite a memento, eh?

Default Sheesh!

Also, as in Ed Norton, responding to an irate Ralph Kramden, on The Honeymooners: "Sheesh--what a grouch!"

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    That's "sheesh", as in "sheesh, what a grouch" - Yogi Bear

Another memory...Danny the walking pushcart -popsicle man! Italian accent, fedora-wearing, age indeterminate, and infinitely patient when we asked him to repeat all eleventy-eleven flavors for sale. Was he ever in YOUR neighborhood?

Quote Originally Posted by bkd4life View Post
    Another memory...Danny the walking pushcart -popsicle man! Italian accent, fedora-wearing, age indeterminate, and infinitely patient when we asked him to repeat all eleventy-eleven flavors for sale. Was he ever in YOUR neighborhood?
    Danny parked that cart right on the corner of Rex and Maddelein at lunch time when I was at St. Jude.

I don't remember him in my neighborhood [[Nottingham south of Morang) but there was a man in a tan-and-brown truck that came through every Saturday selling ice cream, popcorn, and all sorts of goodies. I almost always bought cotton candy from him. Only 25 cents!

Eastburn:
    Many thanks for your confirmation of the State Liquor Store--I can't wait to inform my spooky sister...
    As far as an anti-aircraft base in the neighborhood, if you're referring to the Cleveland/Detroit Nike missile silo installations, I can verify that the closest one to us was located on Belle Isle. There were rumors that Heilmann Playfield was another Nike missile silo site--all untrue.
    I can forward a reliable web link to review, if you're interested in the locations of the area's Nike sites.
    Heilmann wasn't a Nike base but it did have any Army base with anti-aircraft guns pointed skyward during the Korean war.

Old Danny sure did cover some territory. He was an old dude when I was a kid & I'm a lot older than the rest of you. Surprised he was still going strong in your day.

No, but we did have the "strawberrrries, strawberrries, 4 quarts for a dollar" vendor. I remember when it went to 3 quarts for a dollar thinking, "what the crap".

Of course, my favorite was the good humor truck. No taking all day to decide for me. "Rootbeer popsicle please!"

I think Danny stayed north of 7 Mile.

We did have a strawberry truck too - perhaps it was the same one. Though I don't so much remember the "4 quarts for a dollar" chant as much as "Strawberries...get your fresh strawberries" ; I think our peddler also announced other fresh vegetables, especially "SWEET CORN!"

That voice was one of the unmistakable sounds of Detroit summer, second only to Ernie Harwell.

Hey, we slid halfway down the page. I had to catch us before we fell off