Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Le Petite Zinc puts out a fine weekend brunch. Haven't been there during the week for breakfast. In fact, I'd say it is a most civilized place, especially for the price.

Are there any Clock restaurants still open there?

Yup, the Clock in Hamtramck is open. It's been a while since I ate breakfast there, but the last time I did, it was good.

Certainly not in the D, but my house has the best damn breakfast around. However, it's not open to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Are there any Clock restaurants still open there?
    Hamtramck?
    Louies near Eastern Market does actually have a great breakfast.....Dulys has been mentioned quite a bit on this site.....Telwasy breakfast sounds interesting....great location....

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    The old Coney Island located on W. Vernor near Junction?

Back in the 80's and when the Taylor Shopping Mall first opened, there was a much larger Duly's in there, however it didn't last long.

Yep, that's the one. Part of my earliest childhood memories. Their plain loose hamburger is one of my top five comfort foods!

I still don't get salad with their omelette, but they consistently have the quickest and best food for the money in town. Been that way since forever, it seems.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by deweygal View Post
    hello people, only one of the best places to eat fro breakfast.
    A fro breakfast doesn't seem very appetizing

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Bartock: Who's the chef at the Butcher's Inn these days? My understanding is that the former owner has moved on to Foran's, which I haven't been able to check out for weekend breakfasts.
    Dunno. I'll ask the next time I'm there.

bartock Guest

i can't believe no one has said the shorecrest! hello people, only one of the best places to eat fro breakfast. Shorecrest motel diner on jefferson will blow your socks off. My absolute favorite!
    That's the Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    Louie's at Northline and Middlebelt, although not the city. Louie's started out on the Westside on Mich Ave near the Blvd. Moved two to locations on the Eastside, with the last being on Cadieux. Until just a few years ago he had Louie's #2 in Southgate, sold the joint, however they retained name and healthy portions. Since then resold, renamed and lesser portions.
    Not to nitpick, but it's actually on Harper about 3-4 blocks west of Cadieux. It's a tiny place that makes a great omelette and won't leave you hungry. I haven't been to the new Louie's on Mack just north of Eastern Market but I hear the menu is the same.

also most coney islands have great cheap breakfasts. Grandy's is really good. I think it's either caniff or holbrook. It's close to I-75 freeway.
    Grandy's is actually a mini-chain with quite a few restaurants in Detroit. All closed Sundays, sadly. The one on Holbrook near I-75 is a good drive-thru. There's another on Mt. Elliot at Mack, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    Not to nitpick, but it's actually on Harper about 3-4 blocks west of Cadieux. It's a tiny place that makes a great omelette and won't leave you hungry. I haven't been to the new Louie's on Mack just north of Eastern Market but I hear the menu is the same.
    No biggie I realized after pressing submit that I had the wrong street.

Last time I was even in that area is 1987.

The one on Middlebelt has pics of the original stores. I was not aware that he had other locations, many thanks.

The Farmers Restaurant in Eastern Market has the best little stubbie breakfast sausages. Also in Hamtramck is the Maine Street Restaurant on Jos. Campau with a pretty decent breakfast especially if you're inclined towards an appetizer cup of soup - get the Chicken Gumbo, clearly the best in the city. They also have a full bar for those Bloody Mary days. Closed Sundays.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Grand Trunk Pub on Woodward downtown, but they serve up one tasty lobster omelet, not to mention 50 cent pints at noon on Saturdays!

Theres a gritty little soul food joint on on west side of Livernois...between 6 and 7 ..I bet that place has some good not at all bland spicy brefices......

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Ive tried the Pancake House on 8 mile..the snooty place downtown where I was politely asked to remove my brim...the Turkey Grill has a 'brefice' special-dolla niney nine includes turkey sausage and bacon...ends at 11 but I can never seem to drag my ass out of bed in time..with all the soul food spots [[heard Big Boy on Jefferson has some slammin down home goodies) there should be some good carryout and dine in specials...got any suggestions? We gonna have us an Alabama brefice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you're refering to the pancake house on Eight Mile and Fairport, I think they have crappy pancakes. I felt that way when they first opened and I don't think they have improved. In my opinion, Nickey D's on Mound and Eight Mile has way better pancakes. It's a very busy, friendly place too.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    If you're refering to the pancake house on Eight Mile and Fairport, I think they have crappy pancakes. I felt that way when they first opened and I don't think they have improved. In my opinion, Nickey D's on Mound and Eight Mile has way better pancakes. It's a very busy, friendly place too.
    I think I agree on the Pancake House critique...Nickey D's? Ill check it out..down home cookin?

Not directly in the city, but close enough is the Original Pancake House on Mack between Vernier & Moross which is quite good. Expect a long line on weekend mornings though.

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    Yup, the Clock in Hamtramck is open. It's been a while since I ate breakfast there, but the last time I did, it was good.
    Must have been a good long time since you were there. That place is dump these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Not directly in the city, but close enough is the Original Pancake House on Mack between Vernier & Moross which is quite good. Expect a long line on weekend mornings though.
    There is a location in Birmingham also....banana pancakes with a tropical pineapple sauce...mmmmm

And one in Southfield, on Ten Mile east of Evergreen.

I will second the Grand Trunk. The Sunday brunch is great!

I like Farmers for breakfast although they pissed me off last time I was there. Let me bitch.

My family can turn into a group of eight if we all meet at the market. Well there isn't that much room in farmers for a group like that but if you drop one of the middle wall thingies between the booths or get a couple booths across from eachother you are good to go. May need to wait a little but I get that. Well this past time I got there a little early and they asked how many, I said 8 ,and I was informed I would need to wait until everyone was there. I was OK with that, not my favorite policy but whatever. So my family arrives and then it turned into this pissing contest for about 20 minutes of them trying to get us to sit down on three different attempts even though it meant us at three different tables. Even my sister in law walking by the bus area with the staff there complaining about us wanting to all sit at least near eachother.

I was OK with the situation, apparently they were not. Next time we will be starting out with breakfast in Royal Oak at Nello's or something and then going down to the market when there is a big group. Sucks but I'd rather avoid being annoyed or rather annoyING someone before it is even 8:00am...

i can't believe no one has said the shorecrest! hello people, only one of the best places to eat fro breakfast. Shorecrest motel diner on jefferson will blow your socks off. My absolute favorite!
    sounds like a hidden gem......

I love these "FOOD" threads! The only thing is I get a bad case of the munchies after reading them...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast