Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lorax Guest

It hit the books as sold 12/23/08. My photos are from about Feb 08, so about 10 months earlier. I guess whomever bought it hasn't done anything with it since then.

Hopefully they stabilized the roof and prevented rain from getting in at the very least.

Taxes as I recall were also low, that's why we had decided to buy it after looking at it when it was for sale. Crying shame.

I would gladly take it off the new owner's hands, even in it's current state. I would immediately stabilize it of course, then set about getting it in shape again.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/7640-la-...detroit-mi_rb/
    Last edited by Lorax; December-18-09 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Glad to hear someone bought it, must have sold privately, since it hasn't hit the sold list yet.

Who's Ralph?
    Sorry I have a friend whose boat is named Lorax, just was guessing. I looked at 31 Arden Park and in Nov the home was pending, I guess the taxes and other problems scared the potential owners off, but then that is a common problem in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Honestly, it was the taxes [[NEZ reductions included) and the idea of leaving it empty for months on end while traveling that precluded us from buying in Detroit as well. Love BE, and would have bought any one of them that weren't too crazy tax wise. Funny, some of the posted taxes are actually low on just a handful of these homes- like 200 bucks a year or less. My agent says they are true taxes, just didn't ever catch up to current rates for some reason. I saw one for only 78 bucks a year in my research!

In a related issue, I had looked at the home at 7640 LaSalle Blvd. at Lamothe, a perfectly proportioned Georgian colonial built in 1902, which was for sale a couple of years ago for 8500 bucks, and was in surprisingly good condition- when we decided to buy it, the agent told us it had suffered a fire- not a total loss, but bad enough to pass on buying it.

This house had gorgeous paneling in the entry hall and downstairs rooms, great fireplaces, and a pallaidan window on the stairwell, slate roof and dormers. It made me sick that it burned.

I took photos of it on our next trip up, when we actually bought in Southfield instead.

And the worst part of all, is that it later sold for only 500 bucks!!! If I had known, I still would have bought it, but had moved on by then.
    On what planet is the home in suprisingly good condition?? I have been through the home and the amount of money needed to restore it is FRIGHTENING!! Please let me know where I can purchase your rose colored glasses so I can sent them to the press outside Detroit so they can look at the city like you do!

Lorax Guest

Thanks for the snark, really pleasant to have coffee with you this morning.

The home at 7640 LaSalle Blvd. was in surprisingly good shape, all things considered, BEFORE THE FIRE. In case you didn't get that part.

I saw it too- it was in need of much, but it wasn't trashed like so many others, and still had much to work with. Guess it all depends on your idea of "good shape"- I deal with restorations of houses that looked a helluva lot worse, and came out looking great.

Last weekend I had the pleasure to be guided by a great real estate agent that knows the area very well.. I am in the midst of purchasing 3 properties, 2 in the Boston-Edison area and 1 further out of the downtown core. We stubbled upon this posting and were shocked at the condition of the house that has been mentioned on La Salle Blvd.. None the less we asked our agent to show us this house as nothing but really NOTHING has been done to stabilize this house which is a shame.. It is a gorgeous home but will need to be totally gutted inside to start a proper restoration... Does anyone know more about this house? Owners etc???? This is not a small restoration as I saw the damage of the fire and being in building myself it will take some time before this home is back to its original conditon.

Hi Newhorizons,
    I don't know the answers to your questions, but I just wanted to wish you best of luck in your business and preservation efforts.

Isnt Boston-Edison only decent on the east side of the lodge? I see houses on the site for sale cheap, and 95% of them are west of the lodge over by livernois and dexter. I know thats BAD over there. correct me if Im wrong and I'm sure someone will. Thanks

Thanks for your support... I really hope that we can make a difference and show that it is not as bleak as people say it is.. WE need to stand and support each other even with work.. We give our experience to others if they ask and hope this small jesture will help the community in its efforts to stabilize these wonderful areas.... As to Boston Edison we have seen some on the east and west side I believe that the east side is better but that will change... and BAD is not a word I would use.... These homes are stunning and the more we realize and move to these neighborhoods by buying again the better things will get.. It is only as good as we make it....

Is it true that there are no supermarkets in the Boston Edison area? What about Deli's??

Default Supermarkets

Well, I don't live there now , but I can't recall any large grocery stores at present . I remember an Ivanhoe Market [[across from the Cathedral) from when I was younger , but that's torn down.
    I guess the ones in Highland Park are the closest, bur there are small stores, bakeries, etc. by Wayne State, of course.

Bearinabox Guest

There's a place called King Cole Foods on Woodward and Clairmount. I think there's another one in the Virginia Park Community strip mall on Rosa Parks. I've never personally shopped at either, but they might be worth checking out.

Driving down the Woodward to Glory SuperMarket in Highland park is easy. There is also a Glory Market in Hamtramck which is pretty close. Both are about 10 minutes away, to guesstimate. There is a Deli coffee house on Holbrook in Hamtramck called Cafe 1923 at 2287 Holbrook Street, it is by the Glory SuperMarket. It is 10 minutes to midtown to go to Avelon Bakery. They have coffee. And great baked goods.

Its been almost 2 years since this thread has had a posting. With that said, lets compare the 2 neighborhoods now at the end of 2012.

Brush Park VS Boston Edison in terms of what's possible - or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Artistic View Post
    Its been almost 2 years since this thread has had a posting. With that said, lets compare the 2 neighborhoods now at the end of 2012.

Brush Park VS Boston Edison in terms of what's possible - or not!
    I don't think the relative situation of the two neighborhoods has changed very much. Arguably the increased marketing of Midtown and developments like the new Whole Foods store will be more beneficial to Brush Park than to B-E, but at this point that hasn't translated into anything tangible.

How many Brush Park mansions are left standing? What is it like at night over there? The west side of woodward over there isnt so great

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    How many Brush Park mansions are left standing? What is it like at night over there? The west side of woodward over there isnt so great
    In most posters lifetimes there were never Mansions on the West side of Woodward [[W of W). Since the 1980's there are definitely fewer Mansions East of Woodward [[E of W), a lot more condos and lofts. W of W there used to be a Red Barn and a White Castle and lots of mid to high rise apartment hotels. There were also a few of these building E of W but these have been torn down since the late 1980's.

W of W had a lot more streetlife in the 1980's. Not all of it was good. Now it is a lot more empty. N of MLK it does pick up a bit, but that is only because the Medical Center and the University have expanded. The area around Chinatown and the Burton International School [[where my Grandmother taught) was a lot more lively than it is today.

When my grandmother came to Detroit from Flint, she lived in this general area at Second and Peterboro. Her father had been transferred to the new GM Building on Second and the Blvd. I bet it was even more lively then.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; November-19-12 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't think the relative situation of the two neighborhoods has changed very much.
    I have a friend that is a staunch Detroit supporter, and owned a home in BE for years. It was spectacular to visit, lots of renovation and antiques. She recently moved after the 2nd breakin and ransacking of her home. The home was alarmed and other security. She claims the crime and condition of that neighborhood is deteriorating.

I live in Boston-Edison and Love it. Neighbors are great. Association great. One of the best areas in the city for sure. Crime is pretty much non relevant. Have a good patrol and nosy neighbors. everyone looks out for one another. The surrounding neighborhood is pretty bad though. But for some reason they dont bother us. Love it. Only thing I dont like is the lack of small children. My daughter is 3 and there are no children her age on my street. I grew up in the area and always wanted to live in B-E. I've lived in rosedale also and love it too. Was more children but also more home invaders. Had to go. Havnt had ANY problems in B-E. Dont know much about Brush-Park

If you're more pessimistic, like me, then Brush Park's current conditions are a hint of Boston-Edison's future conditions [[mass abandonment, largely vacant, etc.).

If you're more positive, however, you could speculate that a Woodward revival would help both neighborhoods quite a bit [[and especially help Brush Park, given its more central location).

I wouldn't bet on it, though. The prospects for both are pretty murky. I would give Brush Park slightly higher odds of success, though. B-E will be very tough, but who knows, the homes are truly gorgeous. Even Alden Park and those areas to the east, around the Cathedral, are ok-ish, at least judging by outward appearances.

In some ways you could argue that B-E has done ok for itself, considering that its surrounded by nothing. At least east of the Lodge, the blocks have been holding up fairly well, considering the general area.
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-19-12 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313hero View Post
    I live in Boston-Edison and Love it. Neighbors are great. Association great. One of the best areas in the city for sure. Crime is pretty much non relevant. Have a good patrol and nosy neighbors. everyone looks out for one another. The surrounding neighborhood is pretty bad though. But for some reason they dont bother us. Love it. Only thing I dont like is the lack of small children. My daughter is 3 and there are no children her age on my street. I grew up in the area and always wanted to live in B-E. I've lived in rosedale also and love it too. Was more children but also more home invaders. Had to go. Havnt had ANY problems in B-E. Dont know much about Brush-Park
    I thought you posted in another thread about BE that your home had been broken into and the Detroit cops either never showed up or showed up a day later. Was that another 313hero?

I have lived in Brush Park for several years now, and while there is a slow and continuing demolition of both mansions and apt buildings, we are hearing more and more rumors of proposed developements. Several properties were recently purchased via the Wayne County tax auction. Projects that have stalled since 2008 are now back on track and some even completed and fully leased!

It is totally safe here at night. There are not enough abandoned buildings left for vagrants to hide in anymore. The streets and lights were redone in 2004 so it is very well lighted. If anyone is considering moving here, I would certainly recommend it. I think Brush Park's longer term prospects are better because we are not surrounded by high crime areas, and are in between downtown and the DMC, both of which are growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I thought you posted in another thread about BE that your home had been broken into and the Detroit cops either never showed up or showed up a day later. Was that another 313hero?
    That was the home in Rosedale Park. Not BE

Quote Originally Posted by 313hero View Post
    That was the home in Rosedale Park. Not BE
    My mistake.

One thing that Boston-Edison going for it is that its' 900 homes constitute the largest residential historic district in the United States. They also have their own safety patrol.

There are so few historic homes to have survived in Brush Park that a comparison is just no longer applicable... unless you're comparing mansions to condos or rental units... so what's the point?

It's like comparing Palmer Woods to the Gold Coast [[East Jefferson residential highrises).

All the images were taken in the last six months in B-E. While there are still quite a few homes in need of a little tlc, there are very few for sale signs, many homes have been repaired or are in the process of being repaired. Gistok is right there is no way to compare the two historic districts, there are to many variables.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                          

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast