Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
Honestly, I am sort of ambivalent about it. Though I know you're overstating things for comic effect [[it doesn't rip out any existing infrastructure or streetwall, and I doubt any but the hardiest cyclists would use a "bikeway" to commute in and out of the city), it does reinforce this idea that bikes need special infrastructure. They really don't. They can just use the road as any other vehicle does.

You might be interested to know that there is a lively debate about this within the "cycling community" [[whatever that is). For more about "vehicular cycling," read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_cycling
As someone who has been riding my bike as my only form of transportation for over a year in Las Vegas which has very busy surface streets, you couldn't be more wrong about bikes needing their own infrastructure.

There is nothing fun about riding on a street without a bike lane where cars are driving past you at 45+ MPH, usually not giving you the courtesy of more than a couple of feet of space as they zoom past you. Also there are plenty of people out there who would be more encouraged to ride their bike to commute if there is safe and established bike lanes and paths.