Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
I made this point before: If it improves the neighborhood, who cares? People who live and work there are sure to appreciate the improvements, and it will give the whole area a more dynamic look. If the owner won't do it, and the city won't make him, why should we as residents of the area, or visitors, or people who appreciate the building, put in a little sweat equity to make it look better? Who loses with that scenario? No one. There is a great deal of satisfaction to be gained in making an eyesore look good, no matter who SHOULD be doing it.
From what I can tell, there are two different groups at work here. The work going on outside may be nice for the community, but from what I can tell those people are volunteers organized by the guy from Slow's, who certainly has a vested interest in the area looking nice.

The Summer in the City folks, however, are cleaning the INSIDE of the train station. Nobody sees the inside of the train station, except those in there illegally or those volunteering to clean it. They are cleaning a billionaire's neglected structure for free, and their organization receives donations from people who probably would rather see that money going towards fixing neighborhoods or planting trees, or SOMETHING that will actually be noticeable and isn't just doing the work that a negligent landlord refuses to do.