Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That Kroger location was constructed fairly quickly. It was definitely one year or less. In late 1999/early 2000 the old Montgomery Wards was still standing [[as Shoppers World, which closed in 1997 or 1998), and the Kroger opened in July of 2001.

BTW, the store officially closed as Kroger in early 2005, so it was open for 3 good years. Per Mike's Fresh Market's company profile they've only been open for 6 years [[which was late 2003). The copyright on their website is also from 2004. So what I presume happened is that Mike's Fresh Market had started the process of buying that store in late 2003, and completed it by early 2005.
    If the Kroger was constructed in less than a year it was during the Archer Administration when business were being taking care of during that era. I still don't remember that particular Kroger being constructed within one year. So much construction were happening in Detroit during the period of 1997 to 2002. From Campus Martius and the Compuware building downtown to new schools and other items through out the city.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    #2 They don't want to get people used to shopping somewhere else.
    If you live in Grosse Pointe, the only option [[other than the small, local stores) is Kroger.

Grosse Pointe area Kroger locations:

Mack/Moross
    Mack/Lochmoor [[or thereabouts)
    Marter/Jefferson
    Harper/Old 8 Mile
    Mack/9 Mile [[sort of)

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    If you live in Grosse Pointe, the only option [[other than the small, local stores) is Kroger.

Grosse Pointe area Kroger locations:

Mack/Moross
    Mack/Lochmoor [[or thereabouts)
    Marter/Jefferson
    Harper/Old 8 Mile
    Mack/9 Mile [[sort of)
    IIRC, the Mack/Moross Kroger will close when the new one in the village opens. The building is owned by GP Farms and I believe the plan is to tear it down and add to the park and soccer fields behind it.

Mack/ 9 mile and Mack/ Vernier were both Farmer Jacks. I really am surprised they have stayed open as Krogers. Coupled with the plethora of smaller neighborhood markets--Muellers, Farm Fresh, Village, TJs...etc., would have though at least a couple of those FJs that became Krogers wouldn't make it. Especially the 9 and Mack with the Marter one practically around the corner.

I think an even more amazing feat is what Kroger did in west Dearborn at Mich Ave & Outer Dr. They had a store on the southside of Mich Ave. When Farmer Jack, on the northside, closed, they bought that store & made it a Kroger too. They kept it with the Farmer Jack layout to attract the old FJ customers. The location on the southside continued with the Kroger layout for the existing customers. They have both sides of the street covered for grocery shoppers all over the area.

Many of the employees from the Village Kroger are currently at the Mack/Lochmoor Kroger and are looking forward to moving back.

gdogslim Guest

Charles, sounds like you work there? I bet the shrinkage is pretty low at the GP kroger's.
    With only a 1-2% gross margin that makes or breaks many grocery stores and why so few chains will open in Detroit, sad to say.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Especially the 9 and Mack with the Marter one practically around the corner.
    It's relatively difficult to get to the 9 and Mack store if you are coming from the Jefferson and Vernier area. The only way to get through is to take Jefferson or Mack to 9, which is out of the way for a lot of people because of the crazy streets in that area. Also, the GPW park is at the foot of Marter, and I'd imagine they get a ton of picnic business.

That entire area is relatively dense residential, and GPS is nothing but residential, so there's plenty of population to support two stores.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    It's relatively difficult to get to the 9 and Mack store if you are coming from the Jefferson and Vernier area. The only way to get through is to take Jefferson or Mack to 9, which is out of the way for a lot of people because of the crazy streets in that area. Also, the GPW park is at the foot of Marter, and I'd imagine they get a ton of picnic business.

That entire area is relatively dense residential, and GPS is nothing but residential, so there's plenty of population to support two stores.
    That Shogun place in the same complex has done really well since it opened. The area could use more restaurants, in my opinion. There really isn't much [[N. Deli is the best, however) on the Naut Mile for quick pick up/carry out fare.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    IIRC, the Mack/Moross Kroger will close when the new one in the village opens. The building is owned by GP Farms and I believe the plan is to tear it down and add to the park and soccer fields behind it.
    Bailey are you sure about the park expansion?

It seems to me that the Mack/Moross corner [[once they tore down Sears, old Hughes/Hatcher, that strip of 8 homes along Moross, and now the demise of the small Kroger) is THE prime real estate parcel for development in all of Grosse Pointe Farms. It's kitty-corner from St. John's main campus/shopping center/office buildings.

Perhaps they may expand the park into the back parking lot of Kroger... but I don't think that a park will be fronting the major intersection. I would think that commercially that land is too valuable for recreation.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Many of the employees from the Village Kroger are currently at the Mack/Lochmoor Kroger and are looking forward to moving back.
    I've been told by the wine steward that most of the employees will be new to that store when it opens.

it would be a truly amazing feat if Kroger would actually open a store in the city of Detroit. But, it won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

It seems to me that the Mack/Moross corner [[once they tore down Sears, old Hughes/Hatcher, that strip of 8 homes along Moross, and now the demise of the small Kroger) is THE prime real estate parcel for development in all of Grosse Pointe Farms. It's kitty-corner from St. John's main campus/shopping center/office buildings.

Perhaps they may expand the park into the back parking lot of Kroger... but I don't think that a park will be fronting the major intersection. I would think that commercially that land is too valuable for recreation.
    No idea if that is the final plan. IIRC the initial plans were for a Sunrise senior center to anchor a corner development. I think those fell through a while ago. I thought I read somewhere [[gp news maybe?) the plan now is for more soccer fields and the dog park being re oriented. Maybe that is just an interim plan until the economy improves?

The Seven /Mack store is scheduled to close and the "new" kercheval store opens the next day. Shopped at both. Some comments did take me down memory lane though. Hughs & Hatchers, Sears etc. Remembering 7 & Mack too. Cunninghams, Kresges, Winkelmans Pennys etc.

That whole strip area is indeed prime real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Remembering 7 & Mack too. Cunninghams, Kresges, Winkelmans Pennys etc.
    Burger Chef up the road. The sears outlet - we got a cheap air conditioner there one year. Bad movies at the Woods theater. Tuna fish sandwich and water in a paper cone-cup at Sanders. Reubens and beef-barley soup from the Wooden Nickel. Pizza and video games at Club 500. The best ribs ever and vinegary cole slaw from Pointe BBQ [[Champs on Mack is a very close second.)

Tough company with a weak minded union membership. If I had money to invest in Kroger stock I wouldnt think twice....did a nine year stint with Kroger in the meat dept....in 87 workers voted in a two tier [[now it is at least a 3 maybe 4 tier) contract. We struck in 92, I think basically broke even. When I left in 95, I had a 40 hr guantee,time and a half on Sunday, almost full benefits, no weekly deduction, seniority [[and skill and ability so lower seniority employees had a shot at job bids) a wage schedule for meat cutters, wrappers, meat and seafood department managers...etc...for a time unionized markets were bringing in experienced help at close to top rate, now the starting wages are lower than they were 20 years ago. It takes much longer for employees to obtain full time status, benefits and security. There is MUCH less solidarity among the workers thanks to lower pay and lower hiring standards.Some newer protections exist including a protection of full time workers 40 hr guarnatee when a new store is built and vendors help with the set up.....

Might explain why all the employees are so crabby. I am not a big Kroger fan but my Mom, who I take shopping is. Some jerk with a hydralic jack almost hit my Mom with the thing a couple times. She is 90 and very frail. I am not usually combatative but I finally told the guy he would be wearing those forks up his ass if he came near her again. He cussed me out but did stay away from her.

At the Kercheval store the cashiers were always bitching about management to each other and lines were so slow.

Aldi's is so efficient in comparison but I am pretty sure their staff is well paid with bennefits.

In fairness I must say that I once complaing via email regarding a situation I thought was biased. Got an email response and a personal call from corporate. They did explain the situation to my satifaction and I was pleased to see that the signage I thought was offensive was removed.

$15.8M rebuilt Kroger to reopen in Grosse Pointe

A Kroger store rebuilt from the ground up will reopen Sunday on Kercheval in Grosse Pointe — the same date the original Kroger store opened at that location in 1940.
    Shoppers at the 22,000-square-foot Grosse Pointe Kroger — which represents a $15.8 million investment — will find soup and olive bars, with fresh sushi offered daily. The remodeled store includes a service meat and seafood department, a Nature's Market section and a fine wine display manned by a wine steward to assist with selections.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101110/...#ixzz14uXSFQTM

Meanwhile, time is up for the grocery store in a municipally-owned building on Mack just below Moross in Grosse Pointe Farms.

The store closes the evening of Saturday, Nov. 13, the night before the Village location opens, according to a Kroger representative.

Farms representatives determined the cinderblock building is functionally obsolete.

"The roof is in need of replacement," said Shane Reeside, Farms city manager. "The air conditioning system needs extensive work. There's not much value in the building, so we're going to proceed with demolition."

He hopes to raze the structure this winter.

"We'll restore the site with grass in spring," Reeside said.

There are no long-term plans for development of the site at this time.

"The council will decide the future of it," said Mayor James Farquhar. "It's in a land bank as far as we're concerned. I don't see any big changes happening right now."
    gp news...11/11/10

I was just in the Mack/Moross Kroger... the shelves are getting bare... they're going to close on Saturday [[as Bailey mentioned)... but early... at 6PM.

That Kroger will join Sears and Hughes Hatcher as a memory of that former retail sector...

"Farms representatives determined the cinderblock building is functionally obsolete.

"The roof is in need of replacement," said Shane Reeside, Farms city manager. "The air conditioning system needs extensive work. There's not much value in the building, so we're going to proceed with demolition."

He hopes to raze the structure this winter.

"We'll restore the site with grass in spring," Reeside said.

There are no long-term plans for development of the site at this time."

Did I miss something? When did the Farms become part of the City of Detroit?

Well... they do a good job of landscaping and keeping the grass mowed and watered.

Grosse Pointe Farms doesn't need the tax money that that property would take in, were it to be developed. They were likely waiting for the Kroger lease to expire before starting any development. And now that the economy is in doldrums, they'll likely take a little longer to develop it.

One problem is that any developer that comes in with something too grandioise... and the NIMBY crowd in the nearby neighborhoods in the Farms will be up in arms. So it won't be anything that brings too much traffic into the area.

Detroit need Nimby crowds in some of their neighborhoods that are still somewhat populated. Things would get done faster and more efficient that way.

Was there today and they were giving away free meat it appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

So if they develop the corner and expand the grassy knoll, where will everyone park?

Kroger opens tomorrow at 8:00am

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast