Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Eddystone Hotel

There is a big dumpster out back being loaded with debris, BofD noticed yesterday.

Attachment 7201

you can see the dumpster in this shady pic from behind.

Those 2 buildings are going to be leveled - KABOOM! says the Macedonian!

Speaking about the Macedonian - Do you think the new Joe will be as classy as Comerica Park? I only wish there were more concrete cast tiger heads and more baseballs, and bats, and tiger stripes on the park. They really screwed up by not putting enough of them on there. Let's hope they put enough hockey pucks, sticks, and Red Wing logos on the exterior because well it's pretty obvious that going above and beyond the required/standard amount of flair is where it's at!

Didn't Big Ole Jim Wick-in-Heiz-zah! [[pronounce singing the Steve Miller song - Jet Airliner) have his last hand in the Eddystone? [[before he split town) I seem to recall an old article about it back in the days when we all needed to "get in now" to the booming Detroit real estate market so we could all rent out our cribbs for $10k during Super Bowl week.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Hopefully they two buildings can be renovated into apartments or condos and a new bridge for Park Ave, so to connect to the growing entertainment district. I think what businesses in Detroit fail to realize is that growing residential population benefits business more than tourist/entertainment/sports because it means residents using area services on a 24/7 basis. If there were more housing Downtown, I doubt so many places would close shop once offices are closed. We will never see the vibrancy of other major cities until we have a substantial residential density in greater Downtown, somewhere in the order of 20-30k per sq mile. With a light-rail imminent, that sort of density will be possible along the line. Wise developers will realize this early on, and begin buying and planning new developments before the rail line is completed.
    There have been a lot of plans in the works, but the economy has made it impossible for any of them to get financing, so they are all pretty much dead at this point. The Eddystone itself was, at one point, targeted for redevelopment.

The Hotel Eddystone has been bricked shut with cinderblocks! They had signs on the areas of entrance the last few days warning people to get their stuff out and not to come back. I see why, its all over for exploring the Eddystone, just like its neighbor the Old Harbor Light.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    If you ask Mr. I, it may make a nice location for a parking garage... if the Ilitches do, in fact, own these buildings, I don't see any way in hell that they turn them into condos... If they own them, I would be shocked if they didn't eventually come down. Condos and residential real estate is not the business that the Ilitches are in. They are in Pizza and Sports/Entertainment. I truly believe that this is the reason that the Madision Lennox came down. The costs and inexperience, out weighed the benefits, especially considering they had an analysis done and even had plans drawn up for a restoration by the Kraemer Design Group [[the plans are still on that company's website). You don't go to that trouble if you know you are going to tear it down. But at the end of the day, it wasn't the Ilitches business and it was too big of a risk. I think this will be the same case. They will "market it for redevelopment" ala the UA as if they are trying. I really hope the Ilitches don't own it for this reason, because I think that would be awesome to have condos in close proximity to a new arena, but I just don't see it happening if it is the Ilitches.

Man, KDG keeps getting dealt some bad cards. Alot of the projects on their website is really nice stuff, but in limbo or canceled altogether.

Damn the city-wreckers! They'll make this into a McCity, yet. The Fox doesn't make up for all they've destroyed.

DC48080 Guest

Wow, amazing picture. What a change from a vibrant well-populated area to what it is now: reminiscent of Hiroshima after the bomb.

could you explain to me your understanding of the word irony and how it is being applied in this sense?

DC48080 Guest

The word irony was not among the 23 words which comprised my post.

dc, another DYer deleted their post when I called into question their use of the word. guess they balked at having to explain their meaning. sorry for the confusion

DC48080 Guest

No problem. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    dc, another DYer deleted their post when I called into question their use of the word. guess they balked at having to explain their meaning. sorry for the confusion
    I believe I deleted it before your post and certainly before I read your post.
    I deleted it because I had this thread confused for one where people were talking about their old neighborhood. Since it didn't apply to this thread I took it down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2