Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Estate Tax Hike

Hybrid View

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    What that exclusion means is if you give away more than $1 million during your life, you will have no exclusion from estate tax when you die. Lifetime gifts over $13,000/yr to an individual are subject either to gift tax when the gift is made or a reduction in the exclusion at death.
    I don't think so.

For a person dying during 2006, 2007, or 2008, the "applicable exclusion amount" is $2,000,000, so if the sum of the taxable estate plus the "adjusted taxable gifts" made during lifetime equals $2,000,000 or less, there is no federal estate tax to pay

Bearinabox Guest

Mitch Albom should really stick to describing attendees at sporting events who weren't actually there and writing cheesy schmaltz about dying college professors.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I don't think so.
    That was then, this is now.
    http://harborfi.typepad.com/tax/unde...-tax-laws.html

Stosh Guest

So what? Still isnt gonna matter. From YOUR link:

In addition to the $1 million lifetime federal gift tax exemption, you also have a $3.5 million federal estate tax exemption for 2009. You can leave up to that amount to relatives or friends free of any federal estate tax

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    So what? Still isnt gonna matter
    Last I checked, it is no longer 2009, but 2010.

Stosh Guest

Last I checked, it is no longer 2009, but 2010.
    Last time I checked, you still aren't following the facts.

You still aren't gonna inherit a million dollars, and if you do THEN you will pay the tax.

Okay, now that was a very helpful link. Thank you, jiminnm!

Of course no action will be taken without an attorney so all this is informal at this point.