Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gasland

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    This city boy has a stupid question for those of you that rely on well water: what type of filtration do you have and how would you know if there were any colorless, odorless, tasteless contaminants in your water?

[[Too lazy to do a Google search if someone can provide a quick answer.)
    Generally, sand and plants. Nature does an excellent job of filtering water on its own. Its why springs are so pure. The water is filtered as it soaked into the earth and then it sprouts up from the spring.

New home plans built in well communities require perk testing which is an analysis of the soil layers to see if a septic and well can be placed there. Larger developments in those communities, such as big box stores and condo developments, have requirements for unpaved surface area and drain basins so the land can treat the rain water. Many are also adding tree requirements. If a property can not meet the community standards, its either filled with the deficient soils or more likely remains marginally developed until city water and sewage arrives.

Odorless, colorless, tasteless contaminants are extremely rare so its not a large worry. Country water varies greatly as it sometimes tastes like bottled water and sometimes tastes metallic as metals are found in the ground, but never has the chemical taste found in artifically treated water. Areas such as Kentucky have high lime concentrations which can be beneficial for things such as making bourban. However, communities share water tables, often over several counties, so finding contamination in one home leads the county drain commission to test other homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    This city boy has a stupid question for those of you that rely on well water: what type of filtration do you have and how would you know if there were any colorless, odorless, tasteless contaminants in your water?

[[Too lazy to do a Google search if someone can provide a quick answer.)
    Where I'm at, there is a lot of iron in the water. I use a water softener to remove the iron and an R.O. system to remove the salt.

There's a water place up the road where you can take your water to have it tested. Also, when we bought the house, by law, the water had to be tested for contaminants. We haven't had any problems with our water so far...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know...-27-2010/3188/

Most of the people on the EPA commission who said fracking posed no environmental threat in 2004 had ties to the oil and gas industry. What a surprise.

From a July 2001 article by Jonah Goldberg of National Review, photos of what most of the ANWR really looks like [[click on the numbered links):
    A number of people have mentioned that they’d love to see pictures of what the real ANWR looks like. Some people are especially distressed by the pictures in the latest issue of National Geographic that apparently show beautiful mountain vistas and the like. Well, those pictures are accurate, I’m sure, even though I haven’t seen them. They’re just not pictures of the sliver of ANWR where the drilling would be. Unfortunately, I didn’t take a lot of pictures while I was up there, and the ones I took weren’t intended for publication so much as for visual note taking.
    Still, I do have a few shots that will give you a sense of what it looks like up there on the coastal plain. They are of mediocre quality — taken from the cockpit of a small, very jerky plane — so don’t give me grief about how I’m no Ansel Adams or how I’m being unfair by showing crappy pictures of what Joe Lieberman calls “one of God’s most awesome creations.” Also, I don’t have time to check against my written notes, so some of these pictures may be of the Prudhoe Bay side of the Canning River, which forms the border of ANWR’s coastal plain. The important thing is that it is almost impossible to tell the difference between the ANWR side and the Prudhoe side without checking my notes and a map.
    So, this and this [133, 134] are pictures of one of the spots where the Canning River lets out into the Arctic Ocean. Just beyond it is ANWR. And this and this [144, 145] are pictures of what I believe is a typical oil-loading facility on what amounts to the coastal plain on the Prudhoe side of the Canning River. This [142] is a typical pipeline running over the tundra and so is this [143]. This [140] is what the coastal plain and most of the tundra in Prudhoe look like, complete with the puddles I described. And so is this [141]. And so is this [137]. There some places without the puddles, however [196].
    Now, as for the mountains in ANWR: There are many beautiful mountain ranges in this South Carolina-sized wilderness. But the ones closest to the coastal plain are not covered in lush trees, as you might think from looking at the media coverage. This far north it’s too cold, dark, and bleak during the winter for trees to survive. So these mountains are impressive geologically, but — at least from what I saw — they look like barren, massive piles of gravel. For example: [169] [179] [171]. And some have really cool glacier-ice formations on them, like this [178]. But remember, these [180] are still very far from this [150].
    I did see some caribou closer than this [150] but I didn’t snap any good pictures. As you can see [151], they are hanging out on the shore of the Arctic Ocean trying to escape the bugs. I like to call the one on the very far left-hand corner Arthur. Speaking of the Arctic Ocean, the ice never really goes away [152]. Here you can see the dividing line between what were two giant sheets of ice [154]. That line is not man-made in any way.

Pure drinking water is a basic fundamental human right.

This contamination is all the more reason to DISTILL your water...drinking or otherwise.

Sure, it is necessary to use Reverse Osmosis for showering and cleaning, because of flow issues, but I'll have nothing but distilled for my consumption.

The experts are wrong to suggest otherwise. The EARTH is a perpetual distillery. Did pretty good, too, until we poisoned the air and everything downstream from the natural collectors.

Both distillation and osmosis eliminate these hydrocarbon issues as well as flouride, which is another poison 'they' have forced upon us. Don't bother arguing, you're just wrong if you apologize for any of it. Period.

There is something deeply wrong with burning hyrdocarbons, but NOT the way the global warming maniacs insist. It is deeper than that, my gut tells me so.

Yes, I do understand I'm part of the problem by continuing driving and natural gas heating...but I cannot see any way to change that easily. Bio-diesel seems the natural choice for long distance, until I can get that Tesla engine to function.

Thanks for the inspiration to get on with that project.

Cheers

"Gasland " has been nominated for an Oscar.

So what. So was Gore's movie.

I hope you aren't surprised. Do you think Hollywood is a Republican, Conservative stronghold?

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    Do you think Hollywood is a Republican, Conservative stronghold?
    Certainly not since the Hollywood blacklist. Hey, repression has consequences. Live with it.

Live with i? Gee, I guess I'll have to, but it will be tough.

If Gasland is nominated in the Fantasy category, it may have a chance to win.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...0/game-changer
    "A professor in Pennsylvania makes a calculation, to discover that his state is sitting atop a massive reserve of natural gas—enough to revolutionize how America gets its energy. But another professor in Pennsylvania does a different calculation and reaches a troubling conclusion: that getting natural gas out of the ground poses a risk to public health..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_829048.html
    "...Scott Ausbrooks, geohazards supervisor for the Arkansas Geological Survey, told the AP that geologists believe the seismic activity is either a naturally occurring swarm, or could be related to natural gas exploration in the region. According to Ausbrooks, geologists don't believe production wells are the problem, but haven't ruled out injection wells that dispose of "fracking" wastewater as a culprit. The earthquakes have been occurring near several injection wells..."
    Last edited by maxx; July-09-11 at 01:41 PM.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/72298.html

Oscar-nominated documentary filmmaker Josh Fox was arrested Wednesday morning after attempting to film a House Science Committee hearing on hydraulic fracturing.
    Fox was led out in handcuffs by the Capitol police shortly after 10 a.m., before the hearing could be gaveled into order. The "Gasland" director was attempting to film the hearing looking into EPA's investigation of potential water contamination from natural gas drilling in Pavillion, Wyo

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1lXeEdIDm

We desperately need to develop alternative energy. We also need to utilize fossil fuels. World population is growing rapidly and we're going to need to face it head on and in an intelligent way. Why are we so hell bent on using up all the fossil fuels? There are [[hopefully) going to be other people living on this planet for some time to come.
    If we could slow down the usage of carbon based fuels it might slow down the emissions to a point where we're not doing so much damage to the planet.

If you don't think that alternative energy can ever become a reality, then why would you want to burn up all the fossil fuels so quickly? Leave the problem for future generations to figure out?

How many generations will be able to survive the raising of the average world temp by 4 or 5 degrees? And that could happen by the end of this century. Watch Powering the Planet online at 60 Minutes on CNBC, the last part about Antartica.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2