Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post

Now wait a sec. I admitted somewhere else today that I carry a Sharpie in my purse. I carry a highlighter, too, but I don't go around highlighting all text I see.
    Shoot, I'm lucky to even have a pen on me walking around, and I'm architect. Carrying sharpie..... Why??

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Shoot, I'm lucky to even have a pen on me walking around, and I'm architect. Carrying sharpie..... Why??
    I'm not sure. I just always carry a Sharpie, a highlighter, my nice pen [[black ink), and a red pen. Sometimes there's no explaining things.

Ravine Guest

At all times, I have on my person a ball-point pen and a magic-marker. I use the magic-marker at work, a lot. I keep it with me because I'm not inclined to "load up" stuff like that before I leave for work, and I'm not one of those folks who has an obsession against carrying anything in their pockets. I carry half of my damn life in my pockets. So if you see me outside in my street clothes, I can produce that marker quicker than Zorro drawing his goddam sword.
    As for the pen, I have found that it is inconvenient to not carry a pen. You never know when you might want, or need, one, and I'm not one for excusing myself and asking nearby folks if they have one I can borrow. Plus, I am a natural self-expresser [[to the great chagrin of many in my immediate vicinity,) so it is natural for me to carry an implement with which I can write.
    All of the "Why?" reaction to the woman carrying a Sharpie is not surprising, here on DY, though. It is common practice on DY to insist that anything other than one's own way of doing things is odd, warrants suspicion, and indicates low & furtive motives.
    Last edited by Ravine; May-08-10 at 06:29 PM.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    At all times, I have on my person a ball-point pen and a magic-marker. I use the magic-marker at work, a lot. I keep it with me because I'm not inclined to "load up" stuff like that before I leave for work, and I'm not one of those folks who has an obsession against carrying anything in their pockets. I carry half of my damn liefe in my pockets. So if you see me outside in my street clothes, I can produce that marker quicker than Zorro drawing his goddam sword.
    As for the pen, I have found that it is inconvenient to not carry a pen. You never know when you might want, or need, one, and I'm not one for excusing myself and asking nearby folks if they have one I can borrow. Plus, I am a natural self-expresser [[to the great chagrin of many in my immediate vicinity,) so it is natural for me to carry an implement with which I can write.
    All of the "Why?" reaction to the woman carrying a Sharpie is not surprising, here on DY, though. It is common practice on DY to insist that anything other than one's own way of doing things is odd, warrants suspicion, and indicates low & furtive motives.
    For a while there, I was feeling a bit twisted. Thank you for making me feel okay about myself. ;-)

Ravine Guest

What is twisted is the implication that there is something remarkably strange and downright suspicious about someone having a Sharpie with them. But, as I stated, that type of egocentrism is rampant here on DY.

LodgeDodger Guest

Actually, quite a few people commenting about the article in The Detroit News question why anyone would carry a marker with them...

Ravine Guest

I never "play the race card," but I'm going to play it, here.

If that had been a white guy in his 40's or beyond, the "tagging" may have been condemned, but I don't think the Sharpie-carrying would have been held to such scrutiny and suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    At all times, I have on my person a ball-point pen and a magic-marker. I use the magic-marker at work, a lot. I keep it with me because I'm not inclined to "load up" stuff like that before I leave for work, and I'm not one of those folks who has an obsession against carrying anything in their pockets. I carry half of my damn life in my pockets. So if you see me outside in my street clothes, I can produce that marker quicker than Zorro drawing his goddam sword.
    Maybe because sharpies have a risk of leaking and making a mess more than a pen. An artist I could understand carrying one around with other supplies if they do work all over the place. But it's a common occurrence for me to see young adults around here in Chicago to whip one out and start scrawling their street alias on the corner of a building or on the bridges. For all the responsible people, it is just strange. What exactly on the street or running errands would you use it for? Why not keep a sharpie or highlighter at the office or studio, and one at home like most normal people. Back in architecture school, I used to use X-acto knives on a regular basis. Does that mean I carried it around with me all the time?

So yes call me one of those common people on DYES who likes to judge. I have no problem with that.

Ravine Guest

"...For all the responsible people, it is just strange."

Nah, not really. But, I am strange.
    And I don't presume to think of anyone as common, nor do I think you are being horribly judgmental. A little bit, maybe, but in some ways, I can't tell if you are agreeing, or disagreeing, with me.

As for me, I work at an office, but I don't have an office. The stuff I need, I must carry, which is why for me, clothes that lack pockets are useless!!

[[Sometimes, the pocket-loading thing works against me: forgetting that I was toting a nail-clipper, I was compelled to surrender it before boarding an airplane. Sorta pissed me off, but it was my error for not having remembered to place it inside my luggage.)

Ravine Guest

Jeez. I forgot to state, for the record, that I think it was truly childish, irresponsible and deplorable of that foolish woman to do what she did, especially [[other posters have already made this point) since she regularly prattles on about her efforts to impress social responsibility upon her children.
    That "do as I say, not as I do" bit is OK for folks who don't mind later visiting their kids in prison.
    She probably doesn't accurately measure the gravity of this misdeed, but it pretty much puts her column in the same general area as Mitch Albom put his when he pretended like he was somewhere that he wasn't.