Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default DetNews: Midtown development sparks battles

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...sparks-battles

Highlights [[emphasis mine):

About $1.8 billion in public and private investment from 2000 to 2009 has been poured into the six neighborhoods known as Midtown, which starts north of downtown and ends at the New Center area. The steady growth is why Ernie Schaefer, president of Campus Village Communities, has bought properties along Ferry Street near Cass Avenue just across the street from Wayne State University's main campus.

Campus Village already operates several apartment buildings on Ferry, which Schaefer hopes to raze and replace with the 10-story complex on Cass and Ferry.

"Wayne State always says if there were more housing, more students would live in the area," Schaefer said. "We really want to help with that goal."

Schaefer didn't anticipate a roadblock by the University Cultural Center Association, which has spearheaded the effort to have the area declared a historic district. The UCCA has helped create many historic districts in Midtown, including one to save the buildings that are now the Inn on Ferry Street, and proponents consider them a key part of the area's success.

The chances of Schaefer's housing complex coming to fruition are slim if the City Council approves the proposed Woodward-Palmer- Cass-Kirby Historic District.

Traffic Jam pays thousands of dollars a month for the upkeep and mortgage of the parking lot -- including the guard who turns Motor City patrons away after the brewery's seven parking spaces fill up. The Traffic Jam owners say they don't appreciate having to play the bad guy by protecting their property.

"Do you think [[Motor City) has an attendant out there directing people off of our property? Of course not," Howard said.

What troubles Linardos is he struggled financially for years and now that he has had some success and a new partner, the costly battle over the gate and parking has arisen.
    "It's just been ... exhausting," Linardos said.

When the Motor City brewery won round one of the legal fight in December 2008, Wayne County Circuit Judge Warfield Moore noted "there was a real concerted effort to shut down Motor City."
    Traffic Jam has appealed.

Ironically, the fight hasn't diminished the lure of the Canfield area. Tentative plans are under way to build another microbrewery and other small retail outlets next to the Traffic Jam. No opposition has arisen.

Wow, what to say, another amazing job from Detroit News' Louis Aguilar. Thanks Louis for keeping us up to date on the mostly-hard-to-find information about Midtown development. Consistently good articles & investigations from him.

Well my first thought is: I had no idea there were plans for a 10-story apartment building and new microbrewery in Midtown.

My other thoughts are, as follows:

There is so much vacant land in Midtown, why is Schaefer trying to knock down a [[potential) historic district to build a new building when there are so many other places he can put his building? I welcome any new development, but I must say Ferry Street each side of Woodward is rather unique, and definitely part of what makes Midtown a desirable urban area.

The fight between Motor City & Traffic Jam seems petty and pointless. Motor City should be more willing to pony up some real cash for the rental of the lot. Traffic Jam should loosen up and welcome the new neighbors and let them have free reign of the whole lot for a reasonable price -- their lot is hardly ever full anyway. Why can't the two businesses share the lot, without designating certain areas and spaces? Without Motor City, I would contend that the Traffic Jam would be significantly less busy. The more shops & restaurants there are around them, the busier they will be as a result. It's the basic workings of an urban district. More business neighbors means more people around, and more people around means more business.

Finally--a new microbrewery and other shops in the Canfield/Willis area?! Cool. I would love to hear more about this if anyone has info. Right now I know there is a cured meats place coming soon, Avalon is moving to a bigger space, Goodwill's is expanding, plus there is the possibility of a mid-level grocery store moving in. What else?
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; April-09-10 at 07:16 AM.