Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
Actually, detroitsgwenivere, I withdraw my questions. I thought about it and it's probably due to Detroit's poor governance. I doubt houses could be stripped in broad daylight in most communities without police interference. Also, I think most communities would have forced landlords to follow code and pay property taxes. Also, the lack of focus on jobs from our political leadership probably also factored into the decline of many of Detroit's neighborhoods. It's a shame. In a few years Detroit will just be downtown surrounded by wilderness with a few neighborhoods on the outskirts.
C_p, you're absolutely right.... in the burbs police response time is the key to keeping homes from being hit big time by scrappers.

My niece bought a foreclosed house in Fraser [[at half its' former value) that had the outside central air unit stolen... but in most burbs response time is fast enough to be a deterrent for blatant scrapping.

But in Detroit the response time is such that [[with a manpower shortage)... folks probably quit calling the police when there wasn't much response from them... and the scrappers know that.