Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I'm going to get much hate for this but they can tear down just about all of Brightmoor. That place is a complete dump now. A cardboard box is an improvement on 90% of the housing stock there. The other 10% is only marginally better than a cardboard box.

Notice, many of the first few are in the area of City Airport [[On Gratiot just a couple miles from Downtown, and yes, I refuse to accept the current name which is synonymous with corruption). Bing has said a few times, that better utilizing this airport could be a key to reinvigorating the business community, as Metro Airport is way the hell from the city. One of the airport's biggest downfalls is that it is landlocked, but much of the land surrounding it is vacant. Seeing as he is looking to outsource the management of the airport, there is a very good chance, that land could become part of the airport [[I know, there is no money). If the airport comes to be managed by another company, they could conceivably take the land, and develop it for airport use, to enhance their profits by expanding the airport's business.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Notice, many of the first few are in the area of City Airport [[On Gratiot just a couple miles from Downtown, and yes, I refuse to accept the current name which is synonymous with corruption).
    Actually, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever officially named Detroit City Airport as the Coleman A. Young airport. Have they? I think they tried to sneak that one in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I'm going to get much hate for this but they can tear down just about all of Brightmoor. That place is a complete dump now. A cardboard box is an improvement on 90% of the housing stock there. The other 10% is only marginally better than a cardboard box.

Many of the homes in Brightmoor were built at a time when it was technically not within the City Limits. Originally these homes were built with no code, no water, and outhouses. These were built mostly to be temporary housing by southern immigrants coming to town to work in factories. The American Planning Association has an interesting presentation on its website that explains the area with great detail. It takes about an hour to listen to. If you're interested message me and I will send you a link.

BTW I don't have a problem with the Airport's name, but I'd like to know what makes it 'International'?
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-01-10 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Many of the homes in Brightmoor were built at a time when it was technically not within the City Limits. Originally these homes were built with no code, no water, and outhouses. These were built mostly to be temporary housing by southern immigrants coming to town to work in factories. The American Planning Association has an interesting presentation on its website that explains the area with great detail. It takes about an hour to listen to. If you're interested message me and I will send you a link.

BTW I don't have a problem with the Airport's name, but I'd like to know what makes it 'International'?
    Thank you for this post. I have often wondered why that area faired so poorly over the last few years. Yes, if you don't mind, please send me the link for the presentation.

The American Planning Association has an interesting presentation on its website that explains the area with great detail.
    Wow, that is one depressing presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Wow, that is one depressing presentation.

Totally a neighborhood designed and executed to be a throw-away. This makes quite a contrast to its neighbor to the East in Rosedale.

Totally a neighborhood designed and executed to be a throw-away. This makes quite a contrast to its neighbor to the East in Rosedale.
    Yes, very sad. Not only that, but the presenters had some very good ideas for how to turn that neighborhood around. I know those ideas will never come to fruition. That's the more depressing part of the presentation. And they were very practical ideas at that.

Is it possible that I could get the link for this?

This page has a link to an audio podcast regarding Brightmoor, though I am not 100% sure that is what DetroitPlanner was referring to.

I am pretty sure I posted this several months back but here it is again.

It takes about an hour, and don't forget to look at the slides available as pps or pdf.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-02-10 at 01:48 PM.

I am pretty sure I posted this several months back but here it is again.

It takes about an hour, and don't forget to look at the slides available as pps or pdf.

Thank you so very much! I have been coming to this site for a while, but felt the need to register yesterday because of this thread.
    I have been a member of another forum for three years, and have created a thread there dedicated to Detroit. It has a variety of info in it, and I like coming here for references.
    I am going to listen to this tonight before I go to bed.
    Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    This page has a link to an audio podcast regarding Brightmoor, though I am not 100% sure that is what DetroitPlanner was referring to.
    WDET recently did a story on the plans to "rightsize" Brightmoor:

http://www.wdetfm.org/article/bright...hrinking-plans

You can read the actual Brightmoor Neighborhood Plan here:

http://www.aabds.com/Dreamweaver%20-%20Brightmoor%20Stuff/BrightmoorLandUse1/Brightmoor%20Neighborhood%20Plan.pdf

Just to warn you, the pdf file is quite large. But it's the only concrete plan I've seen for rightsizing a neighborhood, so it's worth reading.