Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Honest?John

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    yes, that's what i heard too
    Be nice to see that place occupied again.

Default The Original Honest Johns

There was no "?" in the original sign there on Field. I lived just east of there on Jefferson Av. and used to hang out there occasionally. I knew a lot of the people that worked at the UAW Solidarity House and many used to hang out there too before John? bought it from John. The floor over by the pool table was really warped and uneven but the table somehow was level. A lot of the neighborhood characters hung there right at the end of the bar and also residents from Indian Village. A couple of downtown attorneys used to stop for a few "pops" on their way home to the Points.
    I never much liked the new place on Selden.

No Gannon that's not bad if your getting treated good he also used to treat me good. I dont know what the hell happened with me I went in one day ordered a burger and a pop had a great conversation with the people around me finished my meal gave the barmaid a 5 dollar tip and was ready to leave but I was having such a nice conversation with the guy next to me I decided to stick around and order a beer and was told I had to leave!! I had I never had any problems in there and was always polite. After this happened I told the story a few times at the old Miami and jumbos and come to find out both bars were full of people that had also been booted out and I heard horror stories form more then a few people. I'm not going to dwell on it but at the same time if someone brings up honest johns there are going to hear my story

If you arranged a reunion of all the customers JT has 'barred' from the old Field St. and now the Selden St. locations Cobo Hall might be too small. Cobo, Joe Louis plus Ford Field for overflow might do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Johnny, you're not from here, are ya?!

It is our little Mayberry-in-the-City...with a little Austin, TX thrown in at night.

Cheers
    Actually i have lived in Detroit for the last 25 years so no, i am not new around here.

John,frisked me one day. He hit my pager,and thought it was a gun.needless to say, I was banned for life.from the field location.

I loved the Field location. It was like a match box with a front window that took up the entire front of the bar, which faced Field. Jefferson was right there as was the Belle Isle bridge if you looked to the left. There were about 8 tables in front of the window which sat four comfortably, six if you crammed 'em in, but then you were blocking the bar. I remember one day we went in and wrapped up something like 400 basketballs for all the neighborhood kids at Christmastime.

I was in the Field location one January saturday afternoon with a few out of towners and several friends who showed up when two buses full of seniors got dropped off at the bar about an hour and a half apart. They wanted to hear the Best JukeBox in the country. Complete madness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2