Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I didn't get there until eleven, ate a very late breakfast at Zeff's Grille, ran into an old friend and two of his children on the way out and held forth for another twenty minutes or so, until I drained my coffee and wore out my welcome!

Then I strolled the sheds for another thirty minutes or hour, and started this thread not long after I got home. I know if I don't do it immediately, it often doesn't get done...and her story and product were well worth it.

Plus, we haven't praised the Market enough on here lately!
    I'd left hours earlier. We were almost finished with our tour walk-through. ;-) I'm really pleased to say the CCS renovations haven't blocked too many of the sidewalks. We were concerned we'd have to re-route the tour. No cause for concern. Yay!

Once again, Kiddo. We didn't get the chance to meet!

What about the lady with the beehive hairdo who's always and I mean always got a cigarette in her hand, even when she's making change?

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    My lady and I went there Saturday. I have to put a plug in for the folks that were selling ginger tea. It is delicious!!! I bought a pint, because I felt that $27 for a gallon was a bit too pricey, but after enjiying it later in the day, I wish I'd have sprung for the gallon. Not sure what's so addictive about it, but I'm hooked on it now.
    Now you've got my attention! Who is selling ginger tea and where in the market can I find it?? I'm a ginger freak, I can't get enough. I just recently started making my own ginger beer and ginger juice but I am always interested in trying stuff that other people are selling. I buy some delicious ginger juice from Western market in Ferndale - it's a local brand, Greta's is the name, IIRC.

As an aside, what is the best time to visit the market on Saturdays and get in/out easy? I love that place but I hate the hassle of trying to find a parking sport so for that reason, I don't go nearly as often as I would like to. I think I'm going to have to go this weekend. I'm craving some of those scotch bonnet peppers that one of the vendors sell. It's the only place I've found that sells that particular kind of pepper and nothing else compares!

I, too, can't stand the guy who shouts and sings "happy holidays'"over and over until I want to scream. He's a little bit of a bad apple, too. If it appears that you want/need a plant that will grow in shade and you ask anxiously if a plant will grow in shade, he will invariably assure you that the plant does love/demand shade - even when it is a known sun-lover. And he also yells at people to smile and draws unwanted attention to passers-by who maybe are intent on their shopping and not smiling enough for him. He should be banned.

As for me, I look forward to the lady who brings in tubs and tubs of cut flowers. For a fleeting two Saturdays in May she has lovely, beautiful bouquets of violets wrapped in a collar of green violet leaves. These are the flowers that Eliza Doolittle sold in London in My Fair Lady.

The lady with the beehive lives on Junction in SW Detroit. I think her hair and cigarette are interesting, but its her talons that set her apart. The longest I have ever seen and grotesque.

We are in the Market at 7:00 a.m. every Saturday of the year [[except for the Saturday after christmas when the Market is closed).

Talons....yeah very weird!

Stromberg2

Nothing like a Vivio's bloody and a cold Stroh's. In fact, I'll take a couple of rounds of that. The Supino's pizza is awesome.
    Looking forward to another day of taking my bike to the market [[via the truck rack), riding the Dequindre Cut to the River Walk. Doing that circuit. Checking out the event at Hart Plaza. Then making my way back to Eastern Market for some fun.
    Boomer313

The Market is OPEN every Saturday of the year--even the one after Christmas...

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tkierpiec View Post
    Now you've got my attention! Who is selling ginger tea and where in the market can I find it?? I'm a ginger freak, I can't get enough. I just recently started making my own ginger beer and ginger juice but I am always interested in trying stuff that other people are selling. I buy some delicious ginger juice from Western market in Ferndale - it's a local brand, Greta's is the name, IIRC.

As an aside, what is the best time to visit the market on Saturdays and get in/out easy? I love that place but I hate the hassle of trying to find a parking sport so for that reason, I don't go nearly as often as I would like to. I think I'm going to have to go this weekend. I'm craving some of those scotch bonnet peppers that one of the vendors sell. It's the only place I've found that sells that particular kind of pepper and nothing else compares!
    7:00 AM at this time of year is a great time to shop!

Washman,

Yes, that's the guy. 88!

Tkierpiec,

Ride a bike - no parking problems!

O.

Quote Originally Posted by tkierpiec View Post

Nicki's Ginger Tea from Church of the Messiah is the folks who were selling the delicious tea. They were in the shed across from Rocky Peanut, I never remember what the numbers are.

They are numbered from south to north...shed one doesn't exist, it is the parking lot across from the Russell Street Deli and Zeff's Coney. Two and three are under construction...I think. Five is the enclosed one across from or just south and across from Bert's.

l love that eggman. Been going to him for years and
    years. Haven't been there for a couple of weeks, now
    and I know he's moving back to his regular spot lst week in May. I miss having all the watering holes since the Gratiot Mrkt fire and then Murphy's closed
    and Butcher's is gone again. Vivio's is about it and it's hard to have a goof off day with only Vivios and Berts and a trek east to Cutters. Used to love Rhonda when
    it was Joey's Meat Cutter. Wonder what ever happened to her?

Preserve- Rhonda, is working with her husband, Steve. Steve has a meat inspection business, by the eastern market storage. The big , tall building.

Thanks PG, I wondered about her. Bet she's storing up jokes and banter, she was a great barmaid

I always get my honey from this man named Pat [[or at least i think that’s his name) he’s an older man who only sells honey and beeswax and is usually in the MI/Organic shed [[forget the number)anyway..he has the most fabulous orange and blueberry honey [[in addition to other kinds) and he sells this stuff called Star Thistle honey that is thick and full of crystals [[for lack of a better word) that is GREAT on toast or bagels. You can get three small jars for 11.00 or one big jar for 7.00-ish. I only buy honey from him and he gives taste tests as well so you can choose the honey thats suits you best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2