Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sweetest Heart of Mary...you can't go wrong. Mass or otherwise.

We tried the Berkley American Legion on 12 Mile last Friday. The food was really tasty!!! However the wait time was too long...over 30 minutes to get our carry-out order once we arrived and determined that it was too crowded to eat there. There are a lot of loyal Legion members there!!!

Gnome! Too Funny!!!

Way out here in Essex County one of the local Legion Halls puts on a great fish dinner during Lent. Hubby went and picked up 2 orders last Friday. Fillet of lightly breaded baked walleye, coleslaw, choice of potato, roll and butter & tartar sauce.

I don't use the sauce - I want the full flavor of walleye. To me, that is the Cadillac of fish!

They also have perch dinners.

Definitely try Sweetest Heart of Mary. I first read about it on DYes a couple years back, & I've gone as many times as possible since then. While you're at it, attend the Stations of the Cross at 6:30. I'm not Catholic, but the service moves me to tears almost every time.

http://www.sweetestheartofmary.org/2...ry%20Flyer.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

LOL LOL- that was good. It brightened my sh**ty day.

St. Basil's in Eastpointe does a decent Fish fry [[off 9 mile and Shroeder) and Assumption Grotto also has some good fish frys during Lent [[6 mile and Gratiot)

is saint francis perch? or cod?

We have been to a lot of fish drys. St.Veronica in Eastpointe has to be the Best! Lots of side dishes. Plus they have All You Can Eat!

Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    I've heard that the American Legion in Berkley [[12 mile and Coolidge) really knows how to do it up right.
    I drove by there a few weeks back and couldn't believe the parking lot that was bustling with traffic. It made me wonder what was going on and then I saw the sign for the Fish Dinner so it must be good.

Does St Veronicas have pierogi or something vegetarian?

Gotta vouch for St. Veronicas as well. Best I've had..

Some addresses, major cross streets or at least a trail of breadcrumbs sure would be helpful when you give a shout out to these places.

Breadcrumbs will ruin your appetite

While not necessarily Friday specific, I've also had some pretty good fish dinners at the venerable Cadieux Cafe.

St. Veronica's in East Detroit was really good. All you can eat for $8.50, including fish, french fries or baked potato, about 5 or 6 types of non-meat pasta dishes, 4 or 5 things on the salad bar.... they also had pop for 75 cents or a 2 liter for $2, and desserts for a buck or two.

Really nice, very busy, but easily found a place to sit. They also have a drive-thru if you prefer... I think there its the 2 fish dinner for $7.50 or something.

Sweetest Heart of Mary, check.
    St. Veronica's, check.

Not sure where we will go next week on our Fish Fry tour.

Had lunch at St. Fransis of Assisi, at Wesson and Buchanan, it was excellent and worth every penny of the $8 bucks.

The sweet older gals were a dream in their church-lady aprons all bussling around making sure everyone was happy. Then the guys in the back mixing up the batter and stacking the Bud cans on a shelf behind the stove. Just priceless stuff.

Oh, Nick, the fish is Atlantic Cod. I took some pix, I'll post some tomorrrow.

Glad to hear St Francis of Assisi Lenten fish fries are going strong. That was our family's parish. Mom and Dad would take me, my brother and three sisters regularly. Always good food. Will have to make an effort to get there for lunch.

Went to elemetary school there and served as an altat boy just so I would not have to sit in a pew.

Looking forward to the pictures. Have not seen that church hall in many years. Are they selling Buds now or just fuel for the cooks. Oh, that's right, cod in beer batter.

Went to St.Veronicas last nite.Unbelieveable! Packed house,50/50 raffles,Excellent food.

I went to the Gaelic League last night with a group of five people. They did a fairly good business. It was the best fish and chips I have ever had, it was a great night. We ducked into Abick's after for a few and had a great time there as well.

Nest Friday, Sweetest Heart of Mary is on the radar. And several of you have me wanting to try St. Francis of Asissi big time.

Went to St. Francis D'Assisi for lunch yesterday. It was really good, freshly fried fish. Went to St. Thomas Aquinas for dinner. Their shrimp is AWESOME!!!!!

The info on this thread is making it alot easier to fulfill that lenten abstinence obligation this year. Thanks for starting it gnome & all the posters with your info.

Fish Fry Friday again !!

Why doesn't the Archdiocese of Detroit provide the full and complete listing anymore ?

They used to do that in years past.

darwinism - go to: www.aodonline.org/aodonline-sqlimages/CalendarItem/1
    Get extra tartar sauce! Yum!

I had better luck with this link.
    http://www.aodonline.org/aodonline-s...402FishFry.pdf

Thanx Homer!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast