Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by smudge pot View Post
    I didn't chuckle, but we can chalk that up to either temperament or intellect. Speaking of pogroms, the most oppressed race in human history offers a useful object lesson. The poorest Jewish immigrant family in New York's Lower East Side struggled and scraped to make sure that their kids could at least have piano lessons. Fast-forward to Detroit. Any parent, even in this town, should be able to help their kids understand fourth-grade math. As far as the teachers are concerned? Let's not go there.
    Haha! So your intellect makes you so much better, eh smudge pot? Well, I caught it and I'm a proud DPS graduate. Cooley HS. Go Cardinals! You use one ambiguous example to define a race? Whether the example is positive or negative, that's ridiculous! You've got to be kidding! And teachers are saints, wherever they teach. You're right, smudge pot, don't go there...

Oh, and by the way, it was p-o-g-r-a-m. You can't even get the misspelling right.

[QUOTE=downtownguy;101576]
    Oh, and by the way, it was p-o-g-r-a-m. You can't even get the misspelling right.[/QUOTE

pogrom |ˈpōgrəm; pəˈgräm|
    noun
    an organized massacre of a particular ethnic group, in particular that of Jews in Russia or eastern Europe.
    ORIGIN early 20th cent.: from Russian, literally ‘devastation,’ from gromit’ ‘destroy by the use of violence.’

Chuck_MI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post

Oh, and by the way, it was p-o-g-r-a-m. You can't even get the misspelling right.
    Whoosh! It went over your head. It was a lame attempt at a joke on my part. Sorry for bothering you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_MI View Post
    Whoosh! It went over your head. It was a lame attempt at a joke on my part. Sorry for bothering you.
    My apologies, Chuck_MI. Yes, it did go over my head. I intended my sarcasm for Smudge Pot and his remark against teachers.

smudge pot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    My apologies, Chuck_MI. Yes, it did go over my head. I intended my sarcasm for Smudge Pot and his remark against teachers.
    How about this? Most pastors, ministers, "reverends" in Detroit are probably on a paying basis. Why not have a couple of "homework nights" each week down at the church? This would probably involve the parents [[since they show up on Sundays, anyhow). There's a problem here folks, and cop-out chuckling at typos isn't going to solve it, and cheap cop-out sarcasm isn't going to solve it [[really cheap if it has to be explained). The schools are failing, the parents are failing, and the kids are failing. I think the church idea is a good one. And the example of the Jews is a fitting one. Follow their example, if you really care, that is. Thanks Eno, next time make him do the work, a warm feeling of accomplishment might very well do him some good.