Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    What is really interesting is what happens to all those big flat roofs after a few Michigan Winters, when these buildings outlive their couple decades [[or less) of design life and the store either moves to a bigger box, or goes out of business.

It is a strong statement that the old Downtown Detroit Kresge, long past it's original use, and long vacant, at least still has possibility for reuse and redevelopment. Now THAT is sustainability.
    Well, with 9 floors, you have to figure that it takes time for the leaks to get to the bottom floor.
    By that time, you have a lot of material available to soak up the leaks.
    Presto! Instant Sustainability!
    What about the other 7 floors? TBA?

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Well, with 9 floors, you have to figure that it takes time for the leaks to get to the bottom floor.
    By that time, you have a lot of material available to soak up the leaks.
    Presto! Instant Sustainability!
    What about the other 7 floors? TBA?
    LOL, good point Statler

Sitting in this box with Waldorf? We'll see how it all plays out, I guess

Parking and parking tickets is still an issue for me with downtown. I have it branded in mind to not go down there during the day = hard to find 1/2 meters, meter maids at the ready and tickets. And I am sure that this store is going to be closed at 5:00 PM as many stores downtown are.... which drives people to the burbs... What are its hours?
    Walmart and Meijer are great, aren't they? DetroitMom is addicted to Meijer's U-scans. She thinks it's awesome that you can bag and scan your groceries yourself, and aren't bothered with pesky sales people. The only thing she likes more is to just shop online.

But, it depends on what you want. That way is cheaper, bottom line. But, these stores destroyed our nation's urban centers. If you want a quaint Downtown that you enjoy visiting and you can take your kids to, you really have to be willing to pay just a little bit more for it. Shopping should be an experience in Downtown Detroit. Walmart is for "chore shopping". [[Although, there is no reason that all shopping cannot be fun, click here for a Google Street View of a street in Paris).

Now that was DetroitMom's view [[we live like Green Acres, only with suburban living vs. a dream for urban living), I on the other hand, look at these places very differently. My favorite store in Detroit is Third Avenue Hardware, right in the middle of Midtown. There isn't anything overly special about this store at first glance, but when I walk in the door I am greeted and asked what I am looking for today. If I say duct tape [[Red Green says it fixes anything), they will take me to the duct tape isle and hand me my duct tape, or even go and get it for me.

That is in comparison to my last trip to Walmart or Meijer. First, I have to park [[yay it's free) 256 feet [[the length of a average city block) or more away. Then I have to walk past bottle returns, cart wracks, and a bunch of crap I don't need. If I ask the greeter for help, I am usually told to wait in line at the service desk. Upon getting my help, which is paged to meet me in the hardware department, I find that my "help" is actually a sixteen year old girl who doesn't seem to know the difference between a flat head and a philips, let alone what type of filter I need for my S-130 Air Purifier.

I often leave disgruntled, storming out of the parking lot with no purchase, full of road rage, only to go search online. When I do find what I'm looking for, I am met with long lines or, face the horrible U-scans. I guess there not that horrible, but I just can't understand why these things are so great. I can have someone ring up and bag my groceries for me, FOR FREE! DetroitMom, come on hon, it's included in the price.

Sorry, I'm getting carried away. Anyway, if you want the shopping experience like you have in other big cities, we [[retailers/shopkeepers/building owners) can give it to you, but it's up to you to decide on whether you want to pay for that added experience, just like anything else.

The choice is yours. Are you a customer, or a consumer?

I was just remembering the old Kresges. They always had that really worn wooden floor and clothes in bins. The burble of the gold fish tank aireator. There was a turtle tank too. In that special area, up against the wall, there was a special, unique but clean odor by the tanks, and I guess you could feel a little extra humidity in the air, and you could buy the fish and take them home in white Chinese take out cartons.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Flat roofs in Detroit never have to be resurfaced? Wow, Detroit really is an amazing city!

And I like how it's so bothersome to have to walk through Walmart past a "whole bunch of crap you don't need", but it wouldn't bother you to walk past boulangeries, charcuteries, fromageries, etc. on Le Rue Lepic just to get a stupid roll of tape du duct.

It's no wonder DetroitMom likes the convenience of 21st [[and 20th) century shopping - gives her more time to take care of the only man on the planet who can't find the hardware aisle.
    Wow, that was really rude and uncalled for...

Call me a sap, too, Retroit, but I also enjoy the experience DetroitDad talks about. Busy Bee Hardware in Eastern Market offers the same great service. Guess "service" just isn't part of your vocabulary, eh Retroit?
    Last edited by downtownguy; November-22-09 at 03:36 PM.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Wow, that was really rude and uncalled for...

Call me a sap, too, Retroit, but I also enjoy the experience DetroitDad talks about. Busy Bee Hardware in Eastern Market offers the same great service. Guess "service" just isn't part of your vocabulary, eh Retroit?
    Say the secret word, "sustainabilty", and all bets are off.

You can easily find the same service elsewhere, usually at any ACO or ACE hardware store, anywhere in Metro Detroit. And yes, you pay for the service.

A more authentic dime store experience can be found at Bur-Lers, at 9 mile and Ryan. A step back in time anytime I go there, which is not often enough.

DetroitDad Guest

I really was just using my hardware store as an example because it was near me. That wasn't a statement that you couldn't find good service at an Aco on Nine Mile.

Stosh Guest

I really was just using my hardware store as an example because it was near me. That wasn't a statement that you couldn't find good service at an Aco on Nine Mile.
    Really, though, for the authentic dime store experience, try going to Bur-lers. It's an interesting place. And check out Kowalski's down the strip mall.

DetroitDad Guest

I am intrigued Stosh, thanks.

I'm not sure why people have such a problem with this place. It seems to be a good thing for the city. Okay, the building isn't so great, and the owners are who they are, but it is the shop keepers who mostly have to deal with them and the problems that go along with that. You will mostly be dealing with the shopkeepers, and I think it is that experience that should be judged.

So far, these shopkeepers seem to really be trying to take care of their customers, and have made their spaces look as professional as possible, and seem to be the ones who are really carrying this whole project along and getting it up and running.

Do you have any idea what the retail and commercial real estate markets are like right now? We have someone trying to open a mini Astoria and a mini Bath and Body Works on Woodward Avenue, against all odds, and you guys are complaining that it isn't good enough?
    Last edited by DetroitDad; November-22-09 at 09:50 PM.

I had went inside to talk to one of the vendors who had told me that he may not have anything ready by thanksgiving. I don't think that he has it together. That 5and10 bar should had been the first thing operating. It would had made a killing during the holidays. Businessmen in Detroit always miss out on an oppertunity to make money and open there business after the peak periods

I don't think this is going to be a flea market.
    It'll be more like that Water Tower place in Chicago, excluding the, y'know...the trendy stores people from places like Bloomfield and Troy would buy from. More like some local stores who carry rip-offs of the real things, but are just as good. Still, regardless of the quality of the stores, it'll be good to have some actual retail in Detroit. I mean, there's said to be up to 100 tenants so far. Well, all we can do is hope.

wow 100? That's awesome, if true. Has anyone been in lately? Last I was in there was just a little jewlery and bakery. But they were still doing work.

The past two times I've tried to go in and see Jennifer [[at Sinful Sweets) there has been no one in the entire space and the front door was locked. Both visits were in the mid-morning on weekdays. Perhaps I'll try again today.

Can't wait to check it out the next time I'm downtown [[perhaps this weekend).

As I've said earlier this fall, when I saw the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia, I totally thought a similar concept would work in Detroit. That place isn't all that upscale, either, but you can get fresh produce, baked goods, hoagies, deli, AND clothing/sunglasses/books. I am sure that a similar idea would get traction in Detroit.

I just hope that if this is successful, the landlords don't get too greedy... and let the business build up a bit before spiking up the rent.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    No, Walmart is not great. And U-scans are not great. I avoid both like the plague. Has something to do with caring about people having jobs of some sort. I don't find cashiers to be pesky and I'm glad they are working, so I help them out. Funny how you can encounter social pressure while in stores to use the U-Scan, or bag your own groceries or return your own cart. They might as well tell you they don't like working.
    I STRONGLY agree with you EastDetroit with regard to Walmart and U-scans! I had to hit a Kroger near work for a quick lunch errand the other day. There was only one cashier open and were about six people with full carts in line. The guy overseeing the U-scan , who is one of my regular cashiers, motioned me over to use one of the U-scans. I declined because I said that I didn't want to take away cashiers' jobs but he insisted and offfered to do it all for me. While we chatted, he mentioned that one of the problems with today's economy is that machines like U-scans don't spend money, buy cars, etc. How VERY right!

Personally, I like talking to store staff in all the stores I go to and consider many of them to be friends. And you can bet that I always get fantastic service from my friends!
    Last edited by mtm49269; December-30-09 at 03:01 PM.

Did the OP just walk in to the place with no problem?
    If so, I can imagine vandals having a field day.

No, Walmart is not great. And U-scans are not great. I avoid both like the plague. Has something to do with caring about people having jobs of some sort. I don't find cashiers to be pesky and I'm glad they are working, so I help them out. Funny how you can encounter social pressure while in stores to use the U-Scan, or bag your own groceries or return your own cart. They might as well tell you they don't like working.
    Well returning your own cart IS GREAT.... Aldi's requires you to put 25 cents into the cart to be able to disconnect it from other carts. And guess what their system works quite well in keeping carts from going off as someones personal luggage holder or people who walk them home with their groceries.

My mother [[now no longer drives due to age) ran into a cart going down Moross a few years back, caused $1,300 damage to her car. And then she found one in front of her house [[sans any identification). So now it's in her garage because we don't know where to return it.

I think that the Aldi self-return method is much preferred than those unsightly ghetto-bars around some detroit grocery stores to prevent people from taking the carts with them.

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    I STRONGLY agree with you EastDetroit with regard to Walmart and U-scans! I had to hit a Kroger near work for a quick lunch errand the other day. There was only one cashier open and were about six people with full carts in line. The guy overseeing the U-scan , who is one of my regular cashiers, motioned me over to use one of the U-scans. I declined because I said that I didn't want to take away cashiers' jobs but he insisted and offfered to do it all for me. While we chatted, he mentioned that one of the problems with today's economy is that machines like U-scans don't spend money, buy cars, etc. How VERY right!

Personally, I like talking to store staff in all the stores I go to and consider many of them to be friends. And you can bet that I always get fantastic service from my friends!
    I like U-scans so I have an option when stuck behind some chatty cathy that wants to talk to the cashier for 15 minutes and then decides to pay by check.

MichMatters Guest

U-scans can be useful for a small load. Just don't pick out complicated items, have a weeks-wotrth of groceries to scan, and if you do, come alone; then it can get really messy. lol That said, I almost never use the things, and I'm a young guy. I actually find that for almost every instance, regular lines are more convenient, especially if you're not one of those that shops regularly and loads up once a week or so.

No, Walmart is not great. And U-scans are not great. I avoid both like the plague. Has something to do with caring about people having jobs of some sort.
    Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

By avoiding the U-Scan machines, you're hurting the people who work for U-Scan, from the owners and engineers, all the way down to the secretaries and janitors.

Just sayin...

Just a thought [[rumor/reality?) in improving Metro Detroit

This is not a bashing of the city that I love, but only a possible idea/solution to the issues that are plaguing the area. I was born and raised in Detroit; I currently live in Cincinnati and I'm trying to start up a ''rumor'' and make it become a reality. With all the recent corruption that has affected the local municipal governments in Detroit AND other cities/suburbs recently, maybe we could have ONE-UNIFIED Government similar to what cities like Indianapolis, Louisville, Jacksonville and Charlotte has done. Also by doing this the population of Detroit would increased to over a million- 1.9 million to be exact. [[Merge Detroit and Wayne-County together) By forming this and making a huge metropolis in the SE Michigan area I think long-term alot of money could be saved. More Police officers could be on the street by this merger, which hopefully [[over time) the crime would go down in the new Detroit-Greater and also Detroit-Inner [[current Detroit) areas. The only issue this could be is with the current Detroit schools-system. [[Look to Indianapolis as reference/resolution) But alot of good could come of this if first people like you and me- all the way up to the government officials can come together and talk about this as adults, and not scream at each other like another healthcare debate in a 'Town-Hall meeting.' Race should also not be involved in this discussion either- as this has been holding the Metro area from truly improving for soo long. Also- could we look into the idea of possibly transforming the Campus-Martius/Cadillac-Square area to resemble Times-Square in NYC? This could bring soo much-needed business back Downtown as we all know ADVERTISMENT SPURS BUSINESS! Put 2-3 Huge Jumbotrons on the west-side of the Cadillac Tower Downtown, that would be such a beautiful sight indeed![[Just imagine it!) Also, since we have embraced the idea of having/being the "Las Vegas of the Midwest", how about putting more strobe-lights/outlining lights on our Downtown skyscrapers at night! That would draw more people downtown.[[Along with the Red Wings getting back to their winning ways) We should really get this idea brewing, hopefully this can get the people of SE Michigan really supporting this ''rumor'' and making this talk/idea become a reality- thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I like U-scans so I have an option when stuck behind some chatty cathy that wants to talk to the cashier for 15 minutes and then decides to pay by check.
    I've been behind those Bailey... they ignore the fact that you're standing in line behind them with 2 items, while they have a shopping cart full to the brim... and after they're done chatting with the cashier when their order has been completely scanned... they ask for a pen....

The lady who runs the bakery in the Kresge Bldg had said that the owner had just recieved his liquor license and the bar, restaurant, and most of the stores will be opening by Janurary 25

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The lady who runs the bakery in the Kresge Bldg had said that the owner had just recieved his liquor license and the bar, restaurant, and most of the stores will be opening by Janurary 25
    Did she specify exactly how many stores there would be?

While grocery stores, dime stores, and drug stores do [[and did) have hardware sections, I would not expect a lot of expertise out of the employees there.

The small hardware stores [[and Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace) do have people to answer your questions.

Same thing with goldfish. The girl at Kresges back in the 50s and the girl at mejers today will sell you goldfish, but if you really want to have an informed salesman, you have to go to an aquarium store.

I do not expect expertise in Walmart.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast