Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You're kidding right?

Hell no I aint kidding. I want specifics how and when was Coleman Young corrupt?

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    Hell no I aint kidding. I want specifics how and when was Coleman Young corrupt?
    How about that deal with the Krugerrands?

I like the suggestion given to Motown about volunteering in the city. I heard a local report that a woman from the suburbs & a man from Detroit met up on this forum. Now they are actively working together on an urban farming project. A sweet and motivational story that I want to be a part of too.

LouHat Guest

I think we're slipping off topic. If I want to do Peace Corps stuff I'll just go to Africa where it will at least be appreciated and perhaps do some lasting good. The real point of this thread is if Detroit will ever again be a suitable place to raise a family.

Quote Originally Posted by LouHat View Post
    I think we're slipping off topic. If I want to do Peace Corps stuff I'll just go to Africa where it will at least be appreciated and perhaps do some lasting good. The real point of this thread is if Detroit will ever again be a suitable place to raise a family.
    Better watch out Lou. I've been blasted many times for suggesting that a thread stick to topic. Was told that this forum is a flowing consciousness of thought DANNY where are you when we need you.

I went through the exact same scenario and chose to move back into the City. What tipped the scales in my situation was that I was heavily involved with community activities before I had left Detroit and had remained involved in those activities while I was living in Oakland County. But, my availability for those activities had lessened. Which is why I chose to move back. I've taken on all of the negatives that you would expect. Higher insurance, higher taxes and fewer city services. The positive, and for me it outweighs the negatives, is actually the people that I know and am involved with. I came back to be available to mentor young people and could never put a price on the reward of helping young people achieve some of their goals.

Had it not been for the people that had mentored me when I was younger that made me want to get involved with real community activism [[which is actually working towards making things in your area better and not just showing up at public hearing to bitch and whine) I probably would not have came back.

That's part of the problem. When a city has to rely more on emotional attachment than what is has to offer, it's in trouble, big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by LouHat View Post
    What organizations have you supported did not show any appreciation? Of course it is probably easier to just amking sweeping generalizations.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    How about that deal with the Krugerrands?

In 1973, Young narrowly defeated Police Commissioner John F. Nichols [[who would later become Oakland County Sheriff) to become Detroit's first African American mayor. He won the four subsequent terms by very wide margins. Young's administration was controversial, and he found himself the subject of continued FBI scrutiny amid allegations of contract kickbacks, although no evidence was ever found. He was criticized for his confrontational style toward suburban interests and the apparent diversion of city resources to downtown Detroit from other neighborhoods. Young was generally popular with the inhabitants of the city_ copied from globaloness

Ziggy - ever hear of Vista Oil? Charles Beckham going to Federal Tennis Camp bribery & kickback scheme? How about Coleman's blanket buddy,Darralyn Bowers? Not to mention the whole embarrassing Joel Loving incident? Or Apartheid fueling gold?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...925880,00.html

It's fine if you think the Coleman was a good guy who was loved by his people, but being ignorant to his obvious duplicitous nature is just plain old stupid. Information is a click away.

I read his essay twice, and I think there's a lot there worth thinking about. He's not the typical suburbanite that people on this board talk about with such disdain. His move to the suburbs wasn't motivated by racial fear; he has no phobia of urban places. He just wanted a safe place to raise a family, and Detroit failed to meet that bar. But if he knew there were a neighborhood on the rise with good schools and safe streets, he might be back.

I wrote about this at greater length on my blog, but I think the column underscores what needs to be done to attract the middle class and how many people might be open to living in Detroit. The city government has had a decades-long fixation on downtown, but I think what it needs most are affordable neighborhoods with a reputation for good schools and safety.

Right now the city has lots of affordable neighborhoods, a few good schools, and a few areas with less crime than usual, but these rarely coincide. Kids can play safely in Palmer Woods, but most people can't afford to live there. Most homes right now are dirt cheap, but the crime nearby is out of control. If the city focused on neighborhoods -- Midtown as a great place for students and young workers, Hubbard Farms as a good community for families, etc. -- I think some areas could rise above the city's bad reputation as a whole and start to see a real revitalization.

http://thinkdetroit.blogspot.com/200...urbanites.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I read his essay twice, and I think there's a lot there worth thinking about. He's not the typical suburbanite that people on this board talk about with such disdain. His move to the suburbs wasn't motivated by racial fear; he has no phobia of urban places. He just wanted a safe place to raise a family, and Detroit failed to meet that bar. But if he knew there were a neighborhood on the rise with good schools and safe streets, he might be back.

I wrote about this at greater length on my blog, but I think the column underscores what needs to be done to attract the middle class and how many people might be open to living in Detroit. The city government has had a decades-long fixation on downtown, but I think what it needs most are affordable neighborhoods with a reputation for good schools and safety.

Right now the city has lots of affordable neighborhoods, a few good schools, and a few areas with less crime than usual, but these rarely coincide. Kids can play safely in Palmer Woods, but most people can't afford to live there. Most homes right now are dirt cheap, but the crime nearby is out of control. If the city focused on neighborhoods -- Midtown as a great place for students and young workers, Hubbard Farms as a good community for families, etc. -- I think some areas could rise above the city's bad reputation as a whole and start to see a real revitalization.

http://thinkdetroit.blogspot.com/200...urbanites.html
    Well written and thoughtful blog Cooper. Added to my favorites.

Based on what the author wrote, I don't think Detroit could provide to him what he wants even if it were identical to New York.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Based on what the author wrote, I don't think Detroit could provide to him what he wants even if it were identical to New York.
    Here is what he says he wants "However, I would move home in a heartbeat if I believed that Detroit was moving in the right direction, was meeting those challenges head-on, and was on a path toward better schools, safer streets and “a better quality of life.”

You think Detroit can't ever provide that?

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSpartan View Post
    Here is what he says he wants "However, I would move home in a heartbeat if I believed that Detroit was moving in the right direction, was meeting those challenges head-on, and was on a path toward better schools, safer streets and “a better quality of life.”

You think Detroit can't ever provide that?
    I don't think Detroit can provide what he wants. The reasons that he used to justify his reason for leaving Detroit are things that Detroit will likely never be able to provide him:

“Out here” I have more house, lower taxes, and more amenities. Better schools, cleaner safer streets and peace of mind.
    Detroit cannot compete on those issues. The suburbs of NYC, D.C., Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and what ever other major city you want to name all have lower taxes, better schools, cleaner "safer" streets, and larger houses than the inner-city. So if that is how he defines a "better standard of living" then no, I don't believe Detroit will ever be able to provide him that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2