Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid View

Hey Bob/Bill, your facts are about as factual as Manny/Matty's TV commercials!

If you like Maroun or not, here are my feelings...

#1 We got an 80 year old bridge that needs to be replaced.

#2 The approach and exit ramps are already built, and I believe most of the land has been accuired on both sides

#3 The Bridge company is going to pay for 100% of the costs and not use public dollars

So really what difference does it make that we build a twin span of the Ambassador Bridge? The same amounf of traffic is going to go by the bridge when the new bridge is finished. Only difference is that we are going to have a new bridge that is going to be able to last another 80 years.

The traffic issue is always going to be there, you still go to go through customs clearance after you get over the bridge and thats the #1 reason for traffic backups.

So let Matty Maroun build his second span of the Ambassador Bridge.

If the State of Michigan and the Canadian goverment want to waste our tax money to build a 3rd bridge, let them waste our money also. Heck lets have 3 Bridges to Canada!

Hey with 3 Bridges we have 3 times more customs agents to greet us at the other side of the bridge, which will actually help stimulate the economy in both Windsor and Detroit as it will cut down on travel times.waiting to talk to a customs agent to tell our whole life story.

Let the man build his bridge, and if the goverment really hates him, they can build their own to compete with him.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    If you like Maroun or not, here are my feelings...
    Let the man build his bridge, and if the goverment really hates him, they can build their own to compete with him.
    This is a great point. There is no resistance to Matty's new bridge. The resistance is to a new public bridge. The resistance is from the current monopoly rent-extractor, Maroun.

Somehow, the Blue Water bridge with its new span survives on 3,841,164 cars, 1,353,946 trucks, totalling 5,195,110 [[MDOT stat, w/ cars at $3.00)

The Ambassador Bridge clearly must have cost more to build, since the traffic there is "8.9 million cars and 3.4 million trucks" [[Crains, w/ cars at $4.00 US, $C4.75)

Let's all just be thankful that we have Matty to collect **more than double the revenue that the public authority needed to build and operate a new bridge**. Oh, and don't forget the around 65 cents per gallon on gas Matty sells that doesn't go into fed and state tax coffers to support us.

[[I acknowlege greater wear w/ greater traffic, a somewhat longer span [[I think), and construction cost increases, and that there may be some subsidy, as there should be, for the Blue Water Bridge -- just as there is for the roads approaching it.)

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    #2 The approach and exit ramps are already built, and I believe most of the land has been accuired on both sides
    Too bad the ramp on the Detroit side [[aka Pier 19) wasn't built legally and there's an outstanding order to tear it down.

In Windsor there is substantial opposition to having truck traffic continue to exit the Bridge and take Hron Church through the area to pick up Hwy. 401
    So Ontario is right now building a parkway to be used by trucks to 401. But it will not connect to the Ambassador Bridge. It will pick up traffic from An entry point farther south and west: where the new Bridge will land. Vast amounts of land and buildings, homes etc., were appropriated and evacuated.
    Construction began this spring.
    As an observer, I can certainly see that Ontario has no intention of letting Moroun continue the truck traffic in any volume on any land he now owns near his Bridge. The approaches will not be built.
    Ontario has made it's decision.

...there was a protest/demonstration this past weekend/friday, in front of the Train Station...
    Rashida Tlaib has an editorial in this sunday's Free Press..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2