Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Have you been in Portman's house on the island?
    No just saw pictures when I did some quick research as to who designed and what motivated them,given the time frame it makes sense and he was considered top of the game when it came to futuristic architectural design.

But that was the motivation,a fortress that was within an island on itself.

That stuff did not appeal to me anyways because I think all of a downtown core of buildings should complement each other instead of a bunch of islands within themselves.

They did one all glass like that in Philadelphia,but they had to spend millions revamping it because in evening traffic the setting sun would blind drivers as it reflected off of the glass.

I guess in theory the original Hudson’s was an island on itself by design but it still flowed with the rest of the city.

I believe he passed in 2018 at 90 ?

I think if Detroit had a sister city it would be Rockwood Illinois,same situation but their empty factories which way outnumber Detroits,are still standing and not trashed or demolished,just boarded up,vacant.

The city is more pro active in requiring the owners to secure them,it’s kinda surreal hundreds if not thousands of massive factories just empty like the last person shut the door and walked away,which is kinda what they did.

Chrysler is the only one left there pretty much.

But they were another one when it came to manufacturing in the U.S. ,there was a time when everything that was manufactured in this country contained a part from there,even the nuts and bolts and screws and stamping machines for the auto manufacturers all came from there.

Like Detroit you can buy a $500 house there,move in ready.
    Last edited by Richard; April-27-24 at 09:09 PM.