Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
In today's Free Press I read where German-owned discount grocer Aldi plans to open 800 new stores nationwide. The article did not disclose what plans it may have for Michigan or Metro Detroit.

There is not one near me so I don't have experience with Aldi but I often notice them in what some might consider challenging locations, seemingly willing to operate in lower and moderate income neighborhoods and prosper. Even Highland Park has an Aldi. Another one is across from a Costco I use, seemingly undaunted by that competition.

This seems contradictory to stories of businesses closing allegedly due to customer theft or other business failings, as in the Rite Aid closing thread.

Anyone use them? If so, what are they doing right?

They keep their prices low for one, with no frills. They offer a good value for my money. On the negative side, they carry a lot of house brands, so you have to do a bit of experimenting to settle in on what suits you. Once I got out of that name brand advertised mentality, I found a lot of their brands are as good as or better than the competition. IMO