Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Yes! I worked in that area some years ago, down further by Drake Rd. Once I drove there [commuting from Detroit] I found it very walkable once I got out of my car upon arriving. Huntington Bank was there [[GR and Farm Rd) long before they opened banks in Detroit.

Very nice! Saw a few movies at that little theater on GR! Is it still open?

I recall a little private own bookstore on GR... Then Borders Books arrived across the street killing the bookstore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The area is now highly walkable and one can get just about every thing one needs on foot from groceries, to hardware, post office, and banking, along with tattoos, yoga and skateboards. Where there was only Starbucks there are now five coffee houses, all busy, and a second brew pub is opening soon. The businesses are almost all individual owners.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-08-23 at 03:47 AM.

Unlike the long abandon historic DUR power station, the long vacant strip mall on Grand River Rd. And Orchard Lake Rd. A fast growing East Indian population and a once Historic Masonic Temple Building was turned into a coffee shop. Farmington, MI will remain a one hick Quaker built town. And I like to see that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Unlike the long abandon historic DUR power station, the long vacant strip mall on Grand River Rd. And Orchard Lake Rd….
    The Detroit Interurban Power Plant, aka The Winery, which is was from 1930 to 1972, was never abandoned, until very recently while it is undergoing transformation to residential with some commercial for a restaurant.

I had an office there for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The Detroit Interurban Power Plant, aka The Winery, which is was from 1930 to 1972, was never abandoned, until very recently while it is undergoing transformation to residential with some commercial for a restaurant.

I had an office there for a couple of years.
    It's abandoned now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Saw a few movies at that little theater on GR! Is it still open?

I recall a little private own bookstore on GR... Then Borders Books arrived across the street killing the bookstore.
    The Civic theater is open and a center for activities as well as showing first run movies.

The little book store closed when the owner died. Today the site is a brew pub. Borders never had a store in Farmington.

Farmington shouldn’t be confused with Farmington Hills. It is the original T-shaped 19th C village spread along Grand River and running south from there along Farmington Rd. In 1976 the far larger remainder of the six square mile Farmington Township incorporated as the City of Farmington Hills. The two Cities are independently governed but have a common school district and library system and other services but police and fire are separate.

^ Good the hear that theater is doing well L! Yeah I did/ do get the overlap of Farmington Hills/ Farmington mixed-up sometimes. Love the homes in that area. Not cookie-cutter [garage door fronted] you see in some 'burbs.

I was often shopping at that corner area of Farmington Road and Grand River. Used to love buying stylish shoes at The Village Shoe Inn!