Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Roundabouts

Hybrid View

I saw Yes at the Joe in the 80s. What a great show. They had a round stage at center ice. The entire stage rotated with the drummer sitting on his own platform. When they played roundabout the stage spun round furiously. They raised the drummer up and also spun him even faster.

And back on subject: With me Being a British transplant, I think roundabouts are great and we need to replace more intersections with roundabouts. They replace major headon and tbone crashes with less deadly sideswipes.

I agree they're better for cars, especially when they're kept simple. Also, I love the improvements they've proposed along the rest of Mack. My only concern is for pedestrian safety and convenience at Moross. People do still walk there, and that will increase if the municipal buildings ever happen. It doesn't seem like the current design thought that through.

If the French drivers can manage 12 exits on their roundabouts we should be able to manage 4.

Name:  Etoile.png
Views: 1046
Size:  240.5 KB
    Last edited by expatriate; October-17-20 at 09:46 AM.

And back on subject: With me Being a British transplant, I think roundabouts are great and we need to replace more intersections with roundabouts. They replace major headon and tbone crashes with less deadly sideswipes.
    Name:  Magic-Roundabout3.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  70.2 KB

That must be fun at night!

Hah, I first learned about this one on a test I had to complete as part of a job application. The task: Explain in writing the design of this roundabout and how it works.

PS. Imagine having to get to the other side on foot. With a cane; a walker.

PPS. p69rrh51 provides an example how without everyone's considerate cooperation they don't work.
    Last edited by bust; October-16-20 at 06:23 PM.

MAP: Michigan's most dangerous intersections in 2020

The roundabout at 18 ˝ Mile Road and Van Dyke Avenue in Sterling Heights again topped the list compiled by Michigan Auto Law in 2020. Crashes were down 40% from 2019, but it was still the worst.

As time goes on and more traffic circles get added to Michigan roads, people will grow up learning to drive on them. Currently most people over the age of 40 that drive here didn't learn to drive on them.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    As time goes on and more traffic circles get added to Michigan roads, people will grow up learning to drive on them. Currently most people over the age of 40 that drive here didn't learn to drive on them.
    This. Over time people will get more use to them. If you know how to use them they are almost always better for traffic flow than lights.

Which means that, having grown up in New Jersey in the 60s and learning to drive in the early 70s, with tons of circles, I have the advantage. The circles around here are super easy compared with one at the intersection of two three-lane state highways and a fairly major county road.

Two of those dangerous intersections are on US 131 in Grand Rapids. Serious design flaws from day one at Wealthy Street and Burton.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/map...ctions-in-2020

Does anyone else find it ironic that the most dangerous intersection in Michigan is not an intersection, but a roundabout?

I do not believe this a coincidence.

I have a strong dislike for them because I feel I am about to get cut off or sideswiped every time.

Has anyone driven on the Roundabout in Swindon U.K.? It is most inyeresting!

Swindon's Magic, an Insane 6-Circle Roundabout [[dangerousroads.org)

^^

I remember all the "Jug Handles" in New Jersey for making left turns.

https://bestofnj.com/features/entert...ry-jughandles/

Not sure what it's called but, we were driving on Big Beaver and next thing you know, the lanes shifts and we were facing cars coming off of 75 and traffic opposite of Big Beaver. After the light turned green, we shifted back going on to BB. Glad I wasn't driving.

That's the newest trend in "traffic safety"; the "diverging diamond". There is now one on 14 and I75 and soon will be on 12 and I75 as well as the one you mentioned on Big Beaver. Touted to be bigger, better safer than the OLD roundabout style. These things get touted like laundry detergent now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Not sure what it's called but, we were driving on Big Beaver and next thing you know, the lanes shifts and we were facing cars coming off of 75 and traffic opposite of Big Beaver. After the light turned green, we shifted back going on to BB. Glad I wasn't driving.

That's the newest trend in "traffic safety"; the "diverging diamond". There is now one on 14 and I75 and soon will be on 12 and I75 as well as the one you mentioned on Big Beaver. Touted to be bigger, better safer than the OLD roundabout style. These things get touted like laundry detergent now...
    It really caught us off guard. I'm glad I don't venture out that way too often.

I wonder if they would also help with the dragster / donuts problem that seems to be a big problem on Detroit's wide avenues. There must be dozens of intersections on the big radials that would benefit from this type of traffic calming.

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    I wonder if they would also help with the dragster / donuts problem that seems to be a big problem on Detroit's wide avenues. There must be dozens of intersections on the big radials that would benefit from this type of traffic calming.

Sure, that would undoubtedly help. But can you imagine the cost of putting roundabouts at every major intersection in the city and suburbs? Not very cost efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Sure, that would undoubtedly help. But can you imagine the cost of putting roundabouts at every major intersection in the city and suburbs? Not very cost efficient.
    It need be tried only on a few key intersections to test the results and it would eliminate the cost of maintaining the multiple traffic signals.

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    They might block some drag racing strips, but they'd also be perfect for "drifting" and sliding sideways around the turn while taking up more than one lane... I can see it now

FWIW, no roundabouts here in Las Vegas. Traffic moves pretty well without them, in my 37 years of being here says.

That's because no one lives out there, Ray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    FWIW, no roundabouts here in Las Vegas. Traffic moves pretty well without them, in my 37 years of being here says.

Roundabouts are counterintuitive to a lot of people because we are used to giving right of way to the right at a 4-way-stop but in a roundabout you give right of way to the car to your left.

Originally Posted by jcole

Current population is 2.5 million. How many in Detroit?????

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast