Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    there is a tunnel under the fisher building that goes to the former GM headquarters
    GM's main cafeteria was in that tunnel years ago - back in the late 80's at least. Walked those tunnels everyday when I worked in the Argonaut bldg and parked in the Fisher lot.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Are there any tunnels in the Grand River Greenfield area that ran between Montgomery Wards and Kingsway?
    I don't think so. If there was, it wasn't used by customers [[as far as I know). Pretty sure I would have known about a tunnel, having been there a lot in the late 60s - early-mid 70s. There's a walkway that goes over Grand River - I think that was built in the late 70s maybe. Back then it was Wards and Federals, though I never used the walkway. I hung out over there a lot as a kid, but had stopped doing that by the time the 'bridge' went up. Not sure if that Kingsway is still there. Wards closed years ago, I think the building is now split up into multiple stores.

There was a tunnel at Henry Ford Hospital on W. Grand Boulevard that led to the nurses' dorms way back when. Don't know if those dorms are still used by nursing students or not, but I suppose the tunnel is still there.

Quick question, is there a light at the end of ANY of these tunnels for Detroit?

Well,yeah,but in at least one of the tunnels that light IS an oncoming train!

Don't know if it's still there, but there was a tunnel from behind the altar at the Martha Mary Chapel at Greenfield Village. Used to run out to the old mill. I was privileged to be let down there one time to look at the passage strung with old light bulbs. Probably gone now, I imagine.

I heard that there was a tunnel in Highland Park that went from the old Ford Plant to the bank that was once on Manchester street. Money used to be carried over to the bank from the factory

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    What other stores were in the area? I only remember Meyers Jewelers on the corner of Oakman & Grand River and Cunnninghams Drugs across the street. There was also a men's clothing store just down from Cunninghams on Oakman but I don't recall the name.
    Showing this thread to my mother, she says that the men's clothing store was called Robert Hall.

She also used to work at that Federals in 1961, '62 and mentions that she doesn't remember a tunnel that ran under Grand River to Sears. Her memory of a tunnel at Sears is that "it ran the length of the store, out to the parking lot, under the railroad tracks." Maybe the tunnel between the stores was blocked off then?

Does anyone remember the tunnel under Jefferson that started on the Boulevard, that led into Belle Isle? I miss that one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Packard tunnels are large enough to stand and walk through for the most part but you might want rubber boots. It was def some kind of maintenance tunnel with large water main pipes running along the floor. One entrance is next to the collapsed skywalk in the east building. Bring a flashlight and a backup flashlight just in case. Its pretty cool exploring the different stairways up that pop into different buildings. Its like a box of chocolates.
    I suggest not only bringing two flashlights, but also investing in good flashlights. When I went in the Packard Tunnels five years ago or so, we had two lights, and both broke while down there. Perhaps the most terrifying experience ever.

Quote Originally Posted by LEOQUEEN View Post
    Does anyone remember the tunnel under Jefferson that started on the Boulevard, that led into Belle Isle? I miss that one.....
    I remember there were signs at the entrance of that tunnel that stated, "Do not blow horns". Of course, everyone blew their horns once underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by andylinn View Post
    I suggest not only bringing two flashlights, but also investing in good flashlights. When I went in the Packard Tunnels five years ago or so, we had two lights, and both broke while down there. Perhaps the most terrifying experience ever.
    I suggest you stay clear since you would be trespassing and subject to arrest.

Yes I remembered that tunnel that went underneath Jefferson and let up at belle isle. It was at the foot of Grand Blvd. It was always dark down there with no lights. It was razed in 1984. Jefferson was redone and completed in 1985 at the same time the Uniroyla plant was torn down. There were tall mounds of dirt on the site and the teenagers used to park their Jeep Wranglers on top of the mounds.

I worked at Sears at the Credit Central on the 3rd floor at Gr. River/Oakman [[1968-1971) and the tunnel led from the east parking lot under the DTRR tracks to the store. There was no tunnel under Grand River. The tunnel used to flood at heavy rain storms but was not original to the store when it opened circa 1925. It was added in the late 40's when the property on Cloverdale was purchased for additional parking. At one point, through most of the 1950's that Sears store was among the top 5 stores in world wide sales. Does anyone remember the shoeshine parlor on the west end of the store [[Oakman Blvd side) behind Kresge's? Originally a "model" for the Sears mail order house business. An interesting note, up until 1974 we were paid by cash, in small currency envelopes with a hand written payroll strips itemizing the payroll gross/net/deductions.

Stosh Guest

Somewhere in the recesses of my memory, I remember being in the basement of a Kresge or Woolworth in Detroit on the Boulevard. There was a tunnel there across the street as well, as I seem to recall. Maybe I'm wrong, or confusing it with the GM tunnel, I dunno.

My step Dad told me they used to rollerskate between in the tunnel between the GM building and the Fischer. While my Father was at the Wayne County hospital complex recovering from brain surgery , He told me ''Boy they keep taking me down in them tunnels, I,m thinkin I am down in the coal mines with my cousins down home". Which made me want to see them.

there was a tunnel under Woodward at W/E Grand blvd...entrance was right outside Woolworth's...it was closed off years ago and the entrances demolished and paved over. I believe the tunnel is still under the street, as I never remember Woodward being closed for major construction to rip it out.

I can recall the tunnel from the parking lot to the Sears store, but not from Sears to Federals. I was a younging back then, and don't think my parents were much in the way of leisure shoppers, it was mote like, go to Sears buy a tool, and get out!

I think you are right, the tunnel went to the parking lot across the tracks. I went through it though, despite being terrified of tunnels. Must have been a thrill seeker back then. The trains used to stop me walking to work up Oakman from W. Chicago. I worked at Sears in the 1967 fall to Christmas season in the catalog department. I do remember the pleasure of getting cash money instead of a check. Big Boy paid that way too.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    I worked at Sears at the Credit Central on the 3rd floor at Gr. River/Oakman [[1968-1971) and the tunnel led from the east parking lot under the DTRR tracks to the store. There was no tunnel under Grand River. The tunnel used to flood at heavy rain storms but was not original to the store when it opened circa 1925. It was added in the late 40's when the property on Cloverdale was purchased for additional parking. At one point, through most of the 1950's that Sears store was among the top 5 stores in world wide sales. Does anyone remember the shoeshine parlor on the west end of the store [[Oakman Blvd side) behind Kresge's? Originally a "model" for the Sears mail order house business. An interesting note, up until 1974 we were paid by cash, in small currency envelopes with a hand written payroll strips itemizing the payroll gross/net/deductions.
    Thats the tunnel I remember, under the RR tracks. When I was younger I had several part time jobs doing the floor inventory count.

There were also nice tunnels connecting the Fisher, GM and New Center [[Albert Kahn) buildings. Each of the buildings had businesses; Barber shop, Bar, restaurants, shoe shine, watch repair etc.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    there was a tunnel under Woodward at W/E Grand blvd...entrance was right outside Woolworth's...it was closed off years ago and the entrances demolished and paved over. I believe the tunnel is still under the street, as I never remember Woodward being closed for major construction to rip it out.
    Exterior entrances with green wrought iron?

All I remember was dirty concrete. I can't remember ever going down there, as when we went to the Blvd, it was usually to Saks, Demery Bros. at Woodward and never across the street.

Does anyone remember the DSR bus drop offs on I 94 at Woodward and Davidson and Woodward, express way level,with the old staircases up to Woodward?

Quote Originally Posted by andylinn View Post

LOL, I was on about the 6th floor of the train station at night when mine broke. I had to make my way out with a bic lighter.

MAGLights are sealed with O-rings and have a spare bulb. The 6 D-cell police version doubles as a hefty club too. Best torch on the planet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast