I for one would agree and hate to say it but the Auto did have a great deal in the demise of this city.I come from a large family that has their roots in the city.But most of them left before the riots and before CAY. I had a simular disscussion with a cousin about this subject a long time ago.I said race relations made people leave Detroit. My fathers side was from Kentucky/West Virgina they were the first to go leaving my Grandma till 1979 when a man was caught in her bushes and that was that.But as my mothers side lasted in the city till 1987 there was a shadow coming over the city as well as the burbs. I will say it as anyone can figure out,If you have your workers moving to the burbs cause their job is there, they aint gonna miss the city with its crime and such. And if they were white and didn't like blacks Hell that would be a Godsend to them.
I will say this Colman did not help things IMO it was always the City VS the burbs.
I myself am only 40, yet I do remember chain grocery stores in the city as well as other stores, thriving churches and other things. AND WITH THAT my memories are only 35 yrs old to say the least.And for the most part Whites and Blacks lived amougst one another.Sad to say it when my Grandparents left 20 yrs ago I thought while they might be closer to where I live I will miss the old neighborhood.2o yrs later I have those same thoughts.