While I cannot say much about Universal Mall,. I have figured out that no brainer that when a Mall loses its anchor stores its existance is up in the air.Having been to the Westland Mall last week for the first time since Christmas I have noticed that there are some newer independant shops that have set up. While it is good that there is something in these spaces. I hope that Westland and the other area malls do not suffer the same fate as the malls listed in the title of this thread.
Tel Twelve was another one mall that I went to quite often. Having lost Crowleys and Wards it had to reinvent itself. I cannot see Malls such as 12 Oaks and Fairlane closing, Yet with JC Penny building there own separate stores away from the malls. The smaller malls might have to fight a little bit more to stay around.
But with the case of Wonderland, Looking back I think I liked it better as an open air mall.But then again I wish I had been old enough to see the downtown Detroit dept stores in their prime. Guess you had to be there.