Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: MCS cleanup?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    i knew that the city owned that portion, what i did not know [[as i have never even been in the thing myself) is whether or not any internal barracading had been undertaken wherever the properties meet, because for a long time after that property delineation came to light in the press, people were still getting in, and people have gotten in as recently as the evening of the fireworks when i spotted some people on the roof.
    You're right. I saw people up there that night as well and the new barricades were installed only in the last week or two. Really, the Bridge Co. should have gotten this taken care of 25 years ago when they first purchased the station. But better now than never.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Really, the Bridge Co. should have gotten this taken care of 25 years ago when they first purchased the station. But better now than never.
    absolutely.

Gs,I was there also.I had mixed feelings about it,but what the hell.It was really strange to be in there in with a crowd.I did'nt get the warm fuzzy I get from working at Cub's, but it still felt worthwhile.I question where it all is headed,given the history.Dave

Some pics of the cleanup and more info: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...d=110409982845

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post

Looks like the days of exploring the station, shooting photos with no one around, bringing beers up to the roof with some buddies, etc. -- they are over, friends.
    For at least a couple months

After learning about the volunteer effort on Detroit Yes, I emailed the organizer, John Mohyi, to find out more information, especially what role Manuel Moroun is playing and what the group hopes to accomplish. He responded to my questions at some length [[although lots of questions remain). You can read the interview here:

http://thinkdetroit.blogspot.com/200...n-central.html

By the way, perhaps the most surprising detail: the organizer of the volunteer effort [[a Wayne State undergrad and budding Republican politician) didn't know Michigan Central Station existed until City Council voted to demolish it. Now he's overseeing 60-person crews twice a week for the rest of summer to clean it up. Kind of incredible. I can't believe neither daily has pursued this story yet.

That Maroun is one crafty old bugger. He gets a "volunteer" crew to turn what is one of his biggest negative PR messes into a positive for the ABC. He could have easily paid private contractors to do the same work, probably in less time. But by bringing in some community members, paying them with supplies and food, he gets the same work done with all of the positives of this being a community-backed effort. This will block any effort by the city to move forward with the emergency demolition effort, especially since Maroun can point to the city's/DDA's practice of demolition by negligence and show that at least he's doing some work on MCS. If I was really conspiracy-minded, I might wonder if Maroun is behind the scenes in the latest efforts to revive the Lafayette. Show a judge how the city mismanages its own holdings and how it blocks efforts to restore them and your rather late and rather little clean-up efforts look like real work in comparison. Whatever the case, Matty wins and if the end result is a cleaned-up MCS, maybe the old man should be given his due on this one.

well said Novine

What is the eventual plan for the building? It sounds like at this point they are just rehabbing it via a community effort in hopes that eventually someone will want it for something. I personally don't see why they couldn't just make it a train station again, but that's just me I guess.

Agreed, we could always turn the old train station into.... a train station. The one on Woodward is very small with a tiny parking lot. If the commuter rail trial project becomes permanent, the plan is to build a new station on the opposite set of tracks, which belongs to Conrail. Canadian National does not want to run a lot of trains on their tracks, where the current station is.

If SEMCOG could bargain with Canadian Pacific [[who I think owns the tracks by the MCRR station) and build an over or underpass above or below the intersecting CN tracks in Delray, I'd say make the MCRR station the new station. Perhaps they could keep the current station for lower speed Wolverine trains and Pontiac-Detroit commuter rail service.

I imagine in ten years, there will be either a bus rapid transit or light rail transit down Michigan Avenue that could stop at the MCRR station.

I think it's wonderful that volunteers are getting out and helping to restore the old station.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbad89 View Post
    Agreed, we could always turn the old train station into.... a train station. The one on Woodward is very small with a tiny parking lot. If the commuter rail trial project becomes permanent, the plan is to build a new station on the opposite set of tracks, which belongs to Conrail. Canadian National does not want to run a lot of trains on their tracks, where the current station is..
    The big problem we have, is we have to frankly persuade Amtrak to put an investment into Detroit and Detroit rail. In my opinion the Wolverine line should continue to operate, but the Detroit via bus to Toledo to New York route should become a Pontiac-Detroit-New York Train, with perhaps a Toledo shuttle. Detroit has the opportunity to service more people.

Though, I just have to admit, these days, riding Amtrak from Michigan anywhere makes little to know sense. It's not that much less expensive [[and sometimes costs more) than flying.

Saw an Ambassador Bridge Facilities crew power washing graffiti off the foundation of the facade this evening, Couldn't believe the amount of soot coming off and the color of the granite after it was cleaned. I just sat there mesmorized at the image of something positive happening with the building in such a direct manner, I can't imagine anyone has tried to wash the outside in over 40 years.

Still giving Maroun little credit for his weak attempts, and still thinking the MCS makes a better ruin than a bastardized attempt at a modern rehab.
    Last edited by ventura67; July-14-09 at 08:30 PM.

You have to get a kick out of all of the out-state Republican Senators jumping on the "I love MCS" bandwagon. Money well spent Mr. Maroun!

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/gop/r...15&District=16

Aided, no doubt, by the sums that Maroun did not have to spend on cleaning up his property.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    You have to get a kick out of all of the out-state Republican Senators jumping on the "I love MCS" bandwagon. Money well spent Mr. Maroun!

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/gop/r...15&District=16

Lorax Guest

Yeah, the Rethuglican business people are always first in line when it comes to corporate welfare.

Nothing like a free handout [[in this case labor) to keep 'em smiling!

"Aided, no doubt, by the sums that Maroun did not have to spend on cleaning up his property."

No doubt. But Maroun is spending something to clean up his property, feeding volunteers and sending people out to power wash the building, if current accounts are accurate. DEGC/DDA? How's their stewardship of their inventory of buildings going?

Anyone have pictures of the cleaned facade? I saw MCS this weekend, and even the cleanup work done on the outside looks fantastic.

Agreed. Pics nao. I would go myself, but I don't live in the city yet and I'm mourning the loss of my dear friend and dog. I don't feel like going out so I'd appreciate it.

Hold your horsies people. I'll be back tonight with some pics.

Gs,Are you going on friday?

Yeah I would really like to go and help too! Do you just show up?

You can sign up through the website,I forget what it is...savethemcs?

www.savemichigancentral.com sorry about the misdirect..

I can't wait to see the photos! The place must look amazing after the clean up

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast