Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    If it's so important and in such demand, there should be no issue at all funding this at the gate.
    I guess that's the challenge. If you charged a sustainable rate at the gate, as you suggest, it would be $100 a person. That's not an amount school children or teachers carry on their person.

Then again, if you charged a sustainable toll to use the freeways, nobody would use those either.

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    I guess that's the challenge. If you charged a sustainable rate at the gate, as you suggest, it would be $100 a person. That's not an amount school children or teachers carry on their person.
    It wouldn't be $100 per person, that's simply fear-mongering. The DIA currently charges $8 per person. They've actually been building a fund balance at that rate [[meaning revenues cover expenses enough that they have money left over).

So if the DIA needs more money for some reason they could simply raise the cost of admission and still be very reasonably priced. For example, raising admission to $10 would increases revenues by 25%.

They could also look at cost cutting measures. I'm guessing there's a lot of waste because the person running the DIA is making well over $400,000 a year.

Here's a link that states many of my concerns and frustrations with this tax: http://voiceofdetroit.net/2012/08/03...feed-the-rich/
    Last edited by Scottathew; August-07-12 at 07:11 PM.