Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Texas panhandle: That's another notorious speed trap.
    Yeah, I could have echoed that thought as well. Going west to east, after driving throug AZ and NM with 75 MPH limits, you might forget Texas drops to 70. At least on Interstate 40.

The above all being said, I always take the southern route any more. There is less desolation, and I dread the climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel. I'm also eager to see the tornado damage in Joplin, one of my favorite stops along the way. I felt so bad for the people of Joplin....I always enjoyed the town and the pleasant service I received everywhere, be it a motel, restaurant, or truck stop. It will be interesting to chat with some of them in the days ahead.

I would rather drive coast to coast in our magnificent America than to tour the rest of the world in any way. God bless 'er. [[Oh! She has!)

Thanks Ray, I'm actually moving to Vegas so not sure if I will be driving a moving truck or my car. how would you compare the Colorado mountains to driving to Florida on 75 through the smokeys?

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    ... not sure if I will be driving a moving truck...
    Driving a truck through the mountains requires extra care. I don't know how many trucks I've seen smoking their brakes on the way back down. You must use engine braking as much as possible. Those runaway truck ramps aren't there just to scare tourists. Get advice from an expert first. [[Or maybe you already knew that.)
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-07-11 at 10:00 PM. Reason: autocensor corrupted URL containing Yankee Underscore Tango

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    Thanks Ray, I'm actually moving to Vegas so not sure if I will be driving a moving truck or my car. how would you compare the Colorado mountains to driving to Florida on 75 through the smokeys?

No comparison. The Rocky Mountains are three times higher than the highest peak in Applachia. I drove a rental truck on the Colorado route when I moved here in 1984, and it worked okay. If I had to do it all over again, though, I'd of taken the southern route because of the grades. They are brutal on a car; miserable on a truck. You'll see 18-wheelers on I-70 doing 15 MPH in places.

Sure hope you keep posting on DY when you finally arrive, and, hey, do post a trip report when you get settled in, will ya? Best of luck!