Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Hybrid View

Trust me, the Yoopers do not care if I never set foot up there. They don't want black Detroiters. To say that they do is nuts... I'd even say it's a lie.

There are plenty of places where if you're black and from Detroit, people presume to know all about you. I am getting too old to do "hey, all black people from Detroit aren't bad!" missionary work. Beyond my volunteering, I can't control the behavior of all 600,000 of my fellow blackfolks in and from the city of Detroit. So I'm going to travel places where being from Detroit doesn't potentially get your food and drinks sneezed on.

When I go on vacation, I want to relax, feel comfortable, and feel WELCOMED. Why go up there if people are going to get mad if they hear a hip-hop beat coming from my vehicle? People want freedom of association, and if they don't want to associate with the likes of me, then why should I want to associate with them?

There are plenty of places around the world where my tourist dollars will be welcome. Thanks to the OP for this thread and for expressing your heartfelt sentiments. Good to know exactly what we're dealing with in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Trust me, the Yoopers do not care if I never set foot up there. They don't want black Detroiters. To say that they do is nuts... I'd even say it's a lie.
    Unbelievable and what a hurtful thing to say. It's 2011, and racist stuff like this perpetrates on the internet.

Don't bother to reply. This isn't the first time you've left an impression.

One more, and I'm done with this thread for good:

The original poster wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    I pray to god these Kilpatrick fuckers don't stay.
    I am doing Yooper a favor. Not only won't I stay, I won't go in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    One more, and I'm done with this thread for good:

The original poster wrote:

I am doing Yooper a favor. Not only won't I stay, I won't go in the first place.
    I grew up in da UP [[Escanaba area). Nobody I knew was racist. How can you be racist when there aren't any black people around to even form an opinion about? Honestly, we never gave it a thought one way or the other.

lilpup Guest

Ya know, I could blame all the trash I see thrown in the streets in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti on Detroiters, too, but it still doesn't keep the goddamned trash from getting thrown in the street.

People who litter are FUCKING PIGS, no matter their skin color or hometown.

[[and that's probably an insult to pigs)
    Last edited by lilpup; July-20-11 at 05:37 AM.

You know, I am a Yooper, too, but have been living off and on in Detroit most of my adult life. I have family and home at Bay Mills and go home often. It has been my experience my whole working life that stereotypes and misconceptions about the UP and its denizens are rampant around here. I even worked for an agency concerned with approving contractors for state jobs, and before I got there, they never went north of Saginaw because they "knew" there were no minorities up there. Not true at all. And guess what, not all the minorities are American Indians, though we have a substantial presence in the UP. There are many college educated people there who studied at universities and colleges downstate, Wayne State even. People have plenty of contact with other cultures and a lot of them even know how to act around people who they may perceive as different from themselves. So, take a chill pill, youse guys, and go enjoy the UP if you like and don't go if you don't like. It's all good. If you do go, do like my family, don't litter, and if somebody else did, pick it up. Our mother Earth will thank you for it.

What a thread! Looks like we've got our own Archie Bunker, 2011 black female version. The old trick of swapping words in her posts [[replace UP with Detroit, white with black, etc.) makes it look like some outstate racist hillbilly is posting. Kinda sad... At least Archie had an excuse, he was uneducated and ignorant.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    What a thread! Looks like we've got our own Archie Bunker, 2011 black female version. The old trick of swapping words in her posts [[replace UP with Detroit, white with black, etc.) makes it look like some outstate racist hillbilly is posting. Kinda sad... At least Archie had an excuse, he was uneducated and ignorant.
    I think we have a winner!

If people can't see the latent bordering on blatant racism in the original post, then they just don't want to see it. And English obviously isn't a "black Archie Bunker," whatever on earth that means.

PS: This thread is depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    What is sad is your statement. You obviously have no idea what it is like to live in racist America as a black person or you dont care. I agree with noise all the way on this statement:

"As a white American male, I find that there are few things more distasteful than a white American male claiming they've been discriminated against."

GUSHI Guest

<---white, 1st gereration of European back round. I been called honkey, white boy, wigger, arab, sand ni**er, etc, etc, etc,...........Been told go back to your own country[[I was born here) Honkey and white boy was mostly by black folks[[ I grew up in Detroit) Arab, sand ni**er, wigger,[[when we moved to the suburbs) go back to your own country was mostly by white folk. There are racist everywhere and you know what Fuk them!
    Last edited by GUSHI; July-20-11 at 07:35 PM.

As a white American male, I find that there are few things more distasteful than a white American male claiming they've been discriminated against.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    As a white American male, I find that there are few things more distasteful than a white American male claiming they've been discriminated against.
    as a white American male, I find this statement to be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    A lot of ignorant white men agree with you.

bartock Guest

A lot of ignorant white men agree with you.

Nice with the name-calling, asshole. While obviously in all your enlightenment you support discrimination, by definition your statement is ridiculous. It exists. For everyone. Everywhere.

dis·crim·i·nate

   /v. dɪˈskrɪməˌneɪt; adj. dɪˈskrɪmənɪt/ Show Spelled [v. dih-skrim-uh-neyt; adj. dih-skrim-uh-nit] Show IPA verb, -nat·ed, -nat·ing, adjective
    –verb [[used without object) 1. to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit; show partiality: The new law discriminates against foreigners. He discriminates in favor of his relatives.
    Last edited by bartock; July-21-11 at 10:55 AM. Reason: cleaned up the language.

Nice with the name-calling, asshole. While obviously in all your enlightenment you support discrimination, by definition your statement is ridiculous. It exists. For everyone. Everywhere.

I think everyone else here realizes we're talking about a specific type of discrimination in this thread.

Childish semantic games do not interest me.

Of course you do.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
    Of course you do.

Yeah we all think and act alike. We're all wealthy and blond, too.

Its possible to see the racism in both the OP's post and in English's post, unless someone as you say just doesn't want to acknowledge it. And how can you say in the same sentence that English "obviously isn't" something, and then that you have no idea what that thing is?

Cry me a river, David Duke.

bartock Guest

Nice with the name-calling, asshole.

He discriminates in favor of his relatives.
    From the Kilpatrick thread.

Any white American male who claims that a black person's mere aversion to white racism or the possibility of it is RACIST, you need to understand what real racism is. Why not visit your local library and pick up a book? Why not look at pictures of downtown Detroit in the summer of 1943? Why not look at photographs of lynchings of black people? Why not actually study black history and realize it's American history? That would be too tiresome?

OK, white American males. When your people have been systematically stolen, beaten, enslaved, forced to work, forced to forget their language and their culture, then stigmatized, discriminated against, beaten, lynched, exploited, driven into ghettos, and forced into a life of poverty for decades, then you have been discriminated against. Until then, kiss my fat white ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Any white American male who claims that a black person's mere aversion to white racism or the possibility of it is RACIST, you need to understand what real racism is. Why not visit your local library and pick up a book? Why not look at pictures of downtown Detroit in the summer of 1943? Why not look at photographs of lynchings of black people? Why not actually study black history and realize it's American history? That would be too tiresome?

OK, white American males. When your people have been systematically stolen, beaten, enslaved, forced to work, forced to forget their language and their culture, then stigmatized, discriminated against, beaten, lynched, exploited, driven into ghettos, and forced into a life of poverty for decades, then you have been discriminated against. Until then, kiss my fat white ass.
    Wait...so being called a cracker isn't the same?

Wait...so being called a cracker isn't the same?
    Yeah, when I leave my nice, air-conditioned apartment, after sorting through my 401Ks, as I'm biking through the burned-out Lower East Side of Detroit, on my Trek road bike, on my way to my good job downtown, somebody calls me a "cracker," what the fuck does that matter? You could look upon it as a have-not yelling at a have-some. Anyway, look at my life and look at what this motherfucker has?

What are you gonna do? Take down his name and file federal suit against him downtown? Call the motherfuckin' Tea Party? Juh-hee-zus... I guess some people on this forum would, but, I mean, dang...
    Last edited by Detroitnerd; July-21-11 at 11:32 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast